Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new ssd to do a clean install of windows 7 on it. When I first tried to install I canceled the install because I Didn't think it was working. Only problem is when I did that I created this tiny little 100mb partition that won't let me format it. It didn't even have a drive leter till I gave it one. Disk management calls it a System, Active, Primary Partition. All it has on it is a file called $UpgDrv$

I would like to combine it to my larger partition that windows resides in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi.

Which brand/model SSD is this?

If you want to start over, I would Secure Erase the drive first. That will reset the controller, and the drive will be in a raw/unpartitioned state. So when you install win7, do not format manually, just select the unallocated space and click next.

Win7 setup will then format and align correctly. However, it will create the 100MB partition by default, and it should remain a hidden partition w/o drive letter. This 100MB system reserved partition will contain your MBR (Master Boot Record), hence it's crucial to include that to any system image backup you make.

If you absolutely need to not have a hidden system reserved partition, there is a way which I would explain if needed. This must be done before you install win7, though.

Regards,

tweak

·
Registered
276 Posts
You have several options then. You can download OCZ Toolbox from ocz.com and secure erase with that (need to delete partitions first). You can download HDDErase, and use secure erase from that. You can use linux (e.g ubuntu) with the sudo hdparm commands, or you can use my preferred method - the Partedmagic point-and-click method found here:

Guide Secure Erase With bootable CD/USB Linux.. Point and Click Method

I have used all of the above methods of secure erase, so I think we should be able to get your drive reset and fresh again. Report back here, and good luck!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh, I forgot something.

There is a new FW for your drive. It was released yesterday, and adresses a lot of known bugs. The new version is 1.32, and you'll find it on ocz.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure how to set my system to AHCI mode. I see where I can change it in my bios is two places, but I'm not sure which to change. One states that is will set all the sata ports to AHCI mode. I can't remember what the other one said. If nessicary I'll look again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, real quick.

There is the setting: Onchip sata type which can be either native IDE, Raid or AHCI. When you set it to AHCI it says it enables sata as ahci Funtion.

Then there's the setting: Sata/IDE Ctrl Mode. Which if youyou set it to AHCI mode it says it sets all the ports to that mode.

Also, which mode is it better to keep it on? IDE or AHCI?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, one more option was added for me: On board Sata port 4/5 type- IDE or Set as Sata.

I went ahead and set it to sata, but I couldn't get it to boot from the cd with the ISO on it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Which one, in the BIOS, or the F8 (or similar) press on POST?

And please list your specific motherboard brand/model/revision

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Upon start up hitting f12 I can't get into the boot menu.
My mother board is a Gigabyte ultra durable motherboard: MA790FX-UD5P
Bios version Award Software Internationa, Inc F4c

Thanx for all the help by the way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Latest BIOS (non-beta) is F5, and a beta F6F is out too.

Try reverting back one by one setting that you changed until the bootmenu comes back when hitting F12. You can also manually set your optical drive as 1st boot priority in BIOS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, got it going...but now I'm running into another problem. When I try to erase it it tells me the drive is in frozen mode and secure erase is disabled. It said I can allow for an external block write operation to now execute against the drive to erase its
HTML:
content instead.

What should I do?

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are in AHCI mode, disconnect the SATA power!! connector on the drive NOT the data connector - until you get the boot menu, then reconnect power to the drive (this is to bypass BIOS freezing the drive) and boot into Partedmagic. See if it lets you SE then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually never got to the boot menu. I ended up having to tell it to boot from cd first in the bios. Would I be able to do that while its on the menu before the 4 penguins? (The first menu shown in the link you posted)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.