Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here and hope that this site may help me with a problem that I am having with my system.

I have a problem with my CD/DVD Rom drive. It was working perfectly this morning but suddenly stopped working early this afternoon. The computer is a half year old and has never had any real problems before now, hopefully someone can help me with this one.

I did a little digging in my device manager and found that "windows cannot initialize the device driver for my hardware (Code 37)". It recommended that I uninstall and then scan for hardware changes and re-install the driver, which I did to no avail. I have also tried turning the computer off and restarting it, scanning for newer versions or updates and lastly simply disabling the and that enabling it again. Nothing works.

The device that the problem seems to center around is a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D . Any input would be appreciated as I am totally lost.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Well the evidence is pretty clear, it looks like your CD/DVD Rom drive has bit the dust. This happens sometimes.

Boot to BIOS and see if it's being recognized there. If not, you might consider the cable has gone bad, or the IDE controller it's plugged into, but mostly likely this thing is toast.

You can confirm this 2 ways. Install this device in another machine and/or install a "known good" device in it's place.

Doubt it's a driver issue. Where there any yellow or red-flagged devices in hardware manager besides this one ? Did you have "show hidden devices" enabled ?

It's possible a conflict with something else is making this thing not work, but I think that's pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the evidence is pretty clear, it looks like your CD/DVD Rom drive has bit the dust. This happens sometimes.

Boot to BIOS and see if it's being recognized there. If not, you might consider the cable has gone bad, or the IDE controller it's plugged into, but mostly likely this thing is toast.

You can confirm this 2 ways. Install this device in another machine and/or install a "known good" device in it's place.

Doubt it's a driver issue. Where there any yellow or red-flagged devices in hardware manager besides this one ? Did you have "show hidden devices" enabled ?

It's possible a conflict with something else is making this thing not work, but I think that's pretty unlikely.

BIOS recognizes the CD/DVD Rom. I do not have anything to test the CD/DVD Rom handy with me. Do not have another machine handy to install the device nor to I have another working device.

There were no other flagged devices and I have the show hidden devices enabled.

When I delete the driver and click the scan for hardware option it immediatly spots the CD/DVD Rom and installs the TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D driver. It gives me a message that it has installed but not properly and that it may not work correctly.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Well we can go on the theory that your driver is corrupt and perhaps replacing it will solve the problemo. Give me a sec to try to find one.

EDIT***
http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/opticaldiskdrive/dvdrw/sh_w162zbsbn.asp

Ran into a fairly complex problem. On the Samsung site, the TS-H552D cross-references to the SH-W162C and I was able to find a firmware upgrade for that, but then the SH-W162C cross-references BACK to a TS-H552B.

Have no idea what it all means, but as far as basic drivers or driver installation software, I couldn't find any. Nor can I imagine how a firmware upgrade can help, but you never know, it might be worth a shot, especially if the alternative is throwing the thing away.

Problem is, I couldn't get a definate sense of exactly which firmware. But then, it might not even matter since the firmware may be exactly the same for the entire class of devices.

I've read here & there about some people that suggest using programs to "clean-out" old drivers. I've never used it and so I have no idea, but maybe someone else can fill in this blank ?

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed with the Samsung support page. they don't even post dates next to the various updates of the firmware, and leave it up to you to figure out which is oldest & which is newest.

There should be a law where they are required to publish the home phone number of every Tech Support site manager on the site, so you can call them up at home, wake them up and explain exactly how & why their support site is inadequate.

Anyways (/rant), this is the firmware I'd use, if this were my problem.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/productsupport/download/FileView.aspx?cttfileid=774276&type=ODD+Products&typecode=300400&subtype=DVD+Writer&subtypecode=300405&cmssubtypecode=&model=SH-W162C&filetype=FM&language=

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.