Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my computer loads some necessary files once I turn the computer on, it seems like it automatically restarts. It's right before I get to the Windows loading screen that it just reboots and continually does this. I'm not too sure what the problem is because I have tried safe mode as well. I also tried to load the Windows CD in the set-up section or whatever and the loading got halfway and stopped, giving me a "Windows Boot Manager" error.

P.S. - I really would not like to reformat seeing that I have many important files on my hard drive..so is there any simple way to get my files off the hard drive with this problem??

Thanks for your help. :wink:

·
Security Team , Visiting Trainee (247)
1,070 Posts
Hi, this problem has happened to me before and was due to a virus and this might be the case for your situation. You said you have tried safe mode, so try pressing f8 again then choose last known good configuration. Lets hope that there is a working registry it can remember and load windows.

The other thing you can do is, insert the xp cd, make sure it is booting first which can be done from the BIOS, then when it loads press R for the recovery console option. In there type 1 so that you choose the installation of windows, then type
chkdsk C: /p
and also try the /R switch. the C: can be replaced by your local disk or where Windows is isntalled.

Now regarding backup, there is two things you can do, the first is to burn a live cd, the live cd in particular can be ULTIMATE BOOT CD, type this to google, access the webpage, download it, and burn the CD. The key to this is that you have an isntallation of windows that it can use. The just insert CD and you will have access to your work and back it up, you could also try the ubuntu live cd which doe not require an XP installation.

Last option, take the hard drive out, IF sata then you can either isntall this on another machine using the cable or you can use an adapter that will be IDE/SATA/SCSI to USB or something similar.

The last option is beneficial to you because you can also cancel out virus or Malware issue.

A full system reinstallation should fix this problem.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
First of all, clear the CMOS and see if that fixes it.

Then, list all your specs of the rig including the Video card and the Power supply.

Next, is you can enter the bios setup menu, check the temperatures. If that is not possible, then put a house fan blowing directly on the CPU and see if it stays on longer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay..just restarted the comp and right under the "checksum error" it says "CMOS battery failed". So my battery failed. How much are they, where can I get them, how do I know which one to get, and are they hard to replace?? lol.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
A motherboard battery is about $2.50 or so at Wally world or slightly higher at any store that has watch batteries. Be sure to take it with you to get the right one.

Very easy to replace, just locate it on the top of your motherboard, remove it and when you get another one, put it back in. A piece of cake to replace.

BTW, be sure you unplug the computer and ground yourself before getting inside that case.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Unfortunately, that is what is called a "crap shoot" in computer troubleshooting. It is possible that will take care of the issue, but that is not a guarantee that it will. So we can keep on top of the issue, you might want to post the specs so we can continue to look at different issues until you have it fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.