Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Having problems copy/pasting files between desktops on remote connection

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Remes 
#1 ·
I am on xp on my home computer and have server 2k3 on a vps.

It worked fine before to copy and paste files to and from the desktop/s but I had to wipe my hard drive + reinstall xp on my home comp and now when I try copy/paste it is just greyed out.

I have ensured the option of clipboard is ticked as well as all the drives being selected in the remote connect options.

I have googled it and these are the only pieces of advice I've seen on offer so far.

I can still access the drives in my vps but I have to navigate through the whole trees each time to get to the file which is a real nuisance.

I wanna C+P between desktops like I could before...

Ideas?

#2 ·
On the remote computer can you try stopping the Remote Desktop copy and paste program and then starting it again.

In task Manager on the remote computer locate rdpclip.exe and kill it (right click on it and End Task). Then Start>Run and type rdpclip.exe and hit Enter which will restart it.

#3 ·
Tried that and it didn;t work...

things have gotten worse...

I thought I'd try unchecking all drives and logging back in then logging out checking again and logging in thinking it might 'jog it' back into action but...

When I logged back in I can't see the local drives at all now after having relogged loads of times.

So I have lost sight of all access to my files now :(.

I just had to resort to sending myself files through email.

Is there something else I could use in the meantime? maybe ftp?

#4 · (Edited)
Well I have always used LogMeIn Pro for when I need the ability to transfer files between computer, or just the free version (doesn't have the ability to transfer files between computers) for just providing support for friends and family etc.

You can also try TeamViewer as another alternative, but I believe it will require a user at the other end to accept the remote connection for each session. It's free to use for non-commercial use and is very well regarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.