Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running win xp sp3 and the housecall 7.1 launcher won't open when I click on the launcher it starts to open then stops with a message "an internal error has prevented housecall from opening. Do you want to visit the housecal web site to get the latest version and try again. (E:1019082235:0)". It doesn't matter how many times I try, I get the same message. I have installed the launcher on other xp computers and it opens and runs fine, to the best of my knowledge there is not any malware on my system I use comodo firewall, spyware doctor, avira antivir premium and malwarebytes and everything checks out as clear (no infections). any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated.:sigh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying Geekgirl anyhow the program has never been able to install on my computer and the launcher updates and initialize the housecall scanner which is a online malware/virus scanner, the launcher is just a small executable file which eliminates the need to download any kind of active-x download to run the online scanner. So no program as such is ever meant to be installed by the launcher it just starts the online scan, but I've deleted and re-download the launcher many times and no joy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an update to the problem: I uninstalled Avira antivir premium and installed Avast home edition, re-downloaded the housecall launcher and double-clicked and the launcher successfully opened and gave me the scan button, but after pressing the scan button it starts to scan for about 3 seconds then I get a runtime error "program: C:\docum~1\user\local~1\temp\housecall\housecall bin abnormal program termination. I then uninstalled Avast after a few attempts and re-installed Avira deleted the launcher and went to the housecall website re-downloaded the launcher and it opened which it wasn't doing before with avira installed, but once again after pressing the scan button I got the same runtime error, so I can't explain why after changing the anti-virus the launcher is now opening as I've changed it back to avira and the launcher is opening, but now I have got the runtime error. So if anyone has any suggestions please reply.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Disable the anti-virus program before attempting to launch, sometimes these programs can cause issues with online scans.

If you feel you are infected this is not the forum to be in, I can send you to the appropriate forum if this is what you want and need. I am just assuming you want to run it for the fun of it coz you never mentioned you thought your system was infected.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
Have you tried to run either Avira or Avast?
Were there any issues?
I havent run Avira but Im sure that it is the same as Avast where you can schedule a boot time scan.
During a boot time scan it will look at your files before windows starts and pick up more than if windows is running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Pat there is no known issues on the computer system is clean I only run an online scanner to reassure myself that everything is well on my computer, normally when I was able to run housecall 6.6 I would get a all clear or one or two low level cookies. But if you read my earlier reply I have now got the housecall 7.1 to open and I get to the scan page but I'm getting an abnormal program termination error, and yes I am able to run Avira and everything is fine on the system and no Avira does not have a boot-time scan. Finally the original problem with the launcher not opening is resolved as mentioned in my earlier post and the problem now is a different one really although it's still a housecall 7.1 related problem the launcher is opening, so the problem now seems to be a C++ runtime error when trying to scan with housecall 7.1, so I don't know if a new thread should be started or not. "What do you think Geekgirl".

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Housecall seems to work for me only half the time. Many times it won't start the scanner, and other times it will scan and stop in the middle before it's complete. And other times it works. It's best to use Avira or Avast free versions and compliment it with Malwarebytes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have been using Housecall 7.1 on three desktop pc's for a few weeks with no issue. Using MS Visual C++ 2005 on these machines as well.

The problem is with my laptop. I get the same runtime error as indicated above (abnormal program termination) when I try to use it on the laptop. XPSP3 and MS Visual C++ 2005 is also installed on this pc as well.

What I did find unusual is that it will run if I do not use the quick scan or full scan option. Use the custom scan option and check the "C" drive. It runs fine.

I believe that there is a conflict with the program and possibly a driver on my laptop.

I ran into a similar problem on my wife's PC using Cureit. Runs fine on the other two PC's and the laptop. Blue screens my wife's PC when they updated program.

Gerald

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.