Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's the lengthly story!

Apparently a fairly common problem is apparent loss/ corruption of drivers due to issues between Win XP and Easy CD creator.

I installed Easy CD creator platinum and it caused my machine to blue screen on shut down, ( apparently I needed the patch) so I removed it and everything seemed fine. This was two weeks ago. Then, suddenly yesterday, my Samsung SM-348b CDRW/DVD, my onboard sound card, and my (unused - as I have broadband) modem got that lovely yellow exclamation mark warning sign over them, and a code 39 message (driver missing or corrupt) when I asked for more details!

This seems a fairly common problem as I said. So, I removed both of the offending devices and redetected them. This was no help, so I tried to update the drivers. This was met with a message that the install was unable to start as the drivers I already had were the most upto date available. So, I visited microsoft's website - no drivers, but I installed all the updates I could find anyway. No help! So.......... I visited the manufacturers websites and dowloaded the relevant driver updates. These did install successfully, but to no avail.

Next, I visited the microsoft website again. They know about this problem and suggest that you try one of two things. The first is, if you have Windows media player 7, to remove it and install version 9. I have eight, so it shouldn't cause a problem. They also suggest a little registry editing. You need to remove the upperfilters and lowerfilters from a certain class in the registry. Here starts my serious problem.

I checked and double checked that I had the correct class, but there were no upper or lower filters present at all, so I couldn't remove them. In desperation, I opted for a system restore. This took me back to a few days before I had originally installed Easy CD creator platinum. This of course made no difference to the state of my sound card and CDRW, but the upper and lower filters were present in the registry. So, I removed them. Still nothing. I restored the system to "present day," and there I am stuck.

I have spent hours trawling the internet looking for solutions, and for people that registry editing didn't work for, the only solution available seems to be a complete reintall of XP, with the helpfull addition of no CD drive to write your data to. As I am a sometime composer and arranger (in the middle of a project!) I am desperate to get this all working again. I also have all my Sibelius files (some 200 including midi files) and my home accounts, contacts etc. etc. on my harddrive, and so far from keen on wiping it, or having to buy hundreds of floppy disks to back it all up.

Please, please can someone who has had this problem, or who knows how to sort it out give me a hand! I really am desperate.

Here are my system details:
Intel celleron 1.8gig processor, 256MB memory, Samsung SM-348b CDRW/DVD drive (currently deceased), SoundMax integrated digital audio onboard sound card (also no longer with us) and not sure about motherboard, how do I find that out?

Thank you in advance. Hers waiting to hear from someone. Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

Yours,
Lee Armstrong

G

·
Welcome to Tech Support Forums leea25..........:D

If I were in your predicament I would probably try using Symantecs Ghost. After installing it to your hard Drive you can make a Ghost Boot Disk and then boot to the floppy. After which you can select what files to burn to your CD Burner.

I would check on Symantecs website to make sure your burner is compatible with Ghost first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmm........

I'm not sure what you mean........... will that alow me to write stuff off to cd even though windows in utterly convinced I don't have one?

I have been doing some investigating and there is a registry checker available from nero. Apparently they (unlike the makers of easy CD creator) have recognised the problem and written a programme to fix it. I tried this too and it doesn't work either..........

Yours,
Lee:confused:

G

·
If your CD-RW can read and install software into Windows here is what will happen.

You install Ghost onto your hard drive and create a Floppy Boot Disk which will have DOS drivers for your CD-RW.

After that you can pick and choose the directories that you would like to save and burn them onto a CD while still under the DOS mode of Ghost.

I'll take a look to see if your burner is compatible with Ghost.......:winkgrin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Oh well - thanks for trying. Its appreciated. I have resigned myself to a full reinstall. I think I am going to borrow a friends second hard drive, slave it to mine and copy as much as I can onto that, wipe my drive (curse easy cd creator a lot and microsoft a little) and the put it all back again, reinstall all my other software and see what I can break next!:winkgrin:

Perhaps someone else will come up with an idea..........

Lee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.