Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been thinking about upgrading my computer somewhat, new external harddrive, new monitor....passing thought through my head...should i bother upgrading my vid card as well? Im not too sure how long i have had this card and am in the process of seeing what else is out there in terms of bigger and badder cards on the market. Any ideas? Or am i pretty good where i stand now... :4-dontkno

·
Registered
174 Posts
monitor size? Gamer?

My 9800XT hamdled everything (HL2, Call of Duty and Doom 3) with excellent detail and framerates until I recently purchased a Viewsonic VP201b 20 inch moniter. The 1600 X1200 resolution was too much for it. I've seen some reviews where the X850XT more than doubled it's performance. I'd prefer to avoid Nvidia but ATI's recent new products NON AGP have me thinking about a 6800GT or Ultra as well. High end AGP options are getting fewer. The 9800XT was and still is a superb card but time is marching on. Choose carefully!

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
The 6800GT will beat the snot out of your current card and the X850 series cards. You may also need to upgrade your PSU, either way you go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
if you're gonna upgrade, go big. the x850 platinum way faster than a 6800GT.

do you have agp or pci express? if you have pci-e, I would get a 7800gt

if you have agp, id go with an ati x850 platinum edition

·
Registered
55 Posts
ebackhus said:
The 6800GT will beat the snot out of your current card and the X850 series cards. You may also need to upgrade your PSU, either way you go.
a 6800GT beating an X850xt, doubtful.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
With the 6800GT and the x800xt basically matched, the x850xt is clearly faster than the 6800GT. It's probably not worth the difference in price, but it is definitely faster.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fox said:
With the 6800GT and the x800xt basically matched, the x850xt is clearly faster than the 6800GT. It's probably not worth the difference in price, but it is definitely faster.
hey tony, you're probably right about the price difference not worth it, cant beat my X850xt for $240 :)
anyhow, the 6800U is a better matchup for the X850XT. However, if you're looking at spending $300+ for a video card, you may want to consider upgrading your motherboard. The 7800GT is slightly more expensive than the 6800U and you're looking at an increase of 20% in performance. If not, the X800xl is good match. It has 16 pipelines, but not really the best overclocker.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ebackhus said:
Just because it has a fast GPU doesn't mean it can perform.
true, but X850xt is faster than a 6800GT without a doubt. The 6800GT has one advantage over the X850XT and that is shader model 3.0. Depending on the decision of developers, this could become an important factor or not in the future.

·
Registered
108 Posts
according to benchmarks I did with mine and my friends card in the same comp, my 6800gt got about 5000 score and his 850 got about 6000.

but yea, agree with the above poster about the SM 3.0

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.