Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again computer gods.
I have returned under very dire circumstances.

Before I begin I would like to say that when I posted this thread for the first time, my browser timed out, and when I went back, my extremely long message was gone. So I'll be brief this time because im very frustrated. Please bear with me.

I have two computers at home. I needed to format this PC, so I moved all of my extremely important files onto the other computer. My computer is now formatted, so when I try to move the files back, I turn on the other PC (which was working fine and such beforehand), and I get a DOS message saying I have no OS, and I should insert a disc to install one.

I only left for half a day, and when I come home the computers munted. I interogated everyone in the house and eventually figured out that my little brother was toying around on the internet, (this is my assumption:) opened a very powerful virus exe, and when he left, he turned the computer off.

I've tried setting every boot drive to the hard drive in BIOS and it still wants a disc, and I ejected the disc that was in the drive, so thats not it either.

Is there anything obvious I should be trying before ripping my computers apart and trying to attach the hard drive to my own computer? I was thinking maybe the boot.ini was emptied by the virus... but i dont know how to check its contents or even re-write them for that matter, provided that is the case.

Im hoping its a lot less serious than i assume it is, otherwise ive lost 4 years of multimedia work, important contacts, urls, videos, mp3s, the list goes on.
If I can't get this work back, someone better call the hospital to collect me now.

help would be unimaginably appriciated.
TheWaste

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
Hi,
First,just a note.
If you have been swapping hard drives to transfer data,
check the jumpers on the drives and make sure the drives
are connected to the right connectors on the cable.

Make sure there is no floppy in the drive.

As the MBR may be corrupted;
Boot to the windows XP CD and follow the
instuctions to go to the repair console.
At the promt,type fixmbr and hit enter.
Restart the computer and see if it boots.

If this does not work,you may need to do
a repair install.
Boot to the XP CD and instead of going to
the repair console,press enter to continue
installation.
It will bring you to a page where it will ask
you which installation you want to repair.
Select it and run the repair.

These operations do not affect your data,
but you may need to reinstall your drivers
after a repair install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What OS does the other computer have? You mention a DOS error or was it a BIOS error message? If the other computer also has XP with NTFS filesystem then the only possibility would be a mbr/bootsector repair and/or a XP reinstall. Don't do a reformat (leave the filesystem unchanged).
A problem might be an installed service pack, because the recovery console would put an old version of the boot files on your PC (unless you have an SP1/2 boot CD).
Also use fixmbr and fixboot commands to repair both mbr and bootsector as leroys1000 suggested.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys... I would have like to have tried that repair console command since I have no experience with it and sounds handy...

anyways, before you guys replied, I tried to repair windows, with no luck, and then I re-installed windows. after the second time everything worked again. somehow... :4-dontkno

thanks again guys :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.