Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ME as my primary OS and I put XP on here as a secondary OS, so I would have 2 OS's and try XP. I use XP almost exclusively and I want to have just one OS (XP) on here and recapture the space and free space used by ME. How do I go about doing that??

ME is not working, I get an error message (cmdninst is missing)

Click on this link to see what partitions I have. I used Partition Magic.

http://www.thedigitalbarn.com/partitonmagic.html

Thanks

Digibarn

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You need to delete/format the Windows ME Partition. Once you do that, you will have unpartitioned space. Partition Magic can then merge that space into your XP partition.

Why aren't you using NTFS for the XP partiton?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I thought that was the solution but I was afraid to do it thinking I might lose everything in XP and I didn't want to. I'll go ahead and try this...

Reason I am not using NTFS is because XP runs faster. A friend told me and I was fortunate enough to try both systems and found that a fat 32, indeed is faster.

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
surenuff said:
Reason I am not using NTFS is because XP runs faster. A friend told me and I was fortunate enough to try both systems and found that a fat 32, indeed is faster.
That all depends. FAT 32 will be faster on smaller disks, and NTFS will be faster on larger disks. You may have gained a little speed, but your security just flew out the window.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fat 32

So far I have been fortunate with the Fat 32. I have 2 drives that are 80GB each, so I have large drives. One virus program that is updated almost every day and 2 pop up blockers. I haven't had a virus in a long time. Knock on wood!!

And my machine is pretty quick... I built it myself and most things I can do, but the OS's had me stumped.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Resolution, what is the minimum size you would suggest to format as NTFS. Let's say I have a 40 gig drive, would it be faster as NTFS Or Fat32 under win2k

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Uranium-235 said:
Hey Resolution, what is the minimum size you would suggest to format as NTFS. Let's say I have a 40 gig drive, would it be faster as NTFS Or Fat32 under win2k
Uranium-235, FAT32 is only supported on disks up to 32GB. It will be in your best interest to use NTFS for any sizes greater than that.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Let me put it another way. The Windows 2003 Server, XP, and 2000 have a format limit of 32GB for FAT32 volumes. Now, remember that other operating systems are capable of creating FAT32 volumes as well, only without the 32GB size limit.

With that said, current versions of Windows NT can only format FAT32 volumes that are up to 32 GB in size, but they can (theoretically) read+write to FAT32 volumes up to 2 TB in size.

I should also note that while it may seem like you have gained speed, you have really lost drive space, security, and stability. The loss of drive space has to do with the way NTFS and FAT32 handles clusters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have a new problem with this

I did what you said to do Resolution, and formatted my ME. Partition Magic now won't let me merge the Digibarn partition (which is what held the ME) and the partition that has XP.

It will only allow me to merge the D and E with the F and G. Stumped again...

Help

Thanks

Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.