Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm just in the process of upgrading my system, bit by bit, Ive done the Mobo, PSU, Graphics Card, next is the Memory (thinking of Crucial PC3200 2x1Gig). I'm also replacing all the crappy bog standard fans and heatsinks with decent makes, Panaflo, Arctic Cooling Freezers etc...

The one final thing that I am REALLY dreading, is the HDD upgrades, I know it's important, cos my disks are pretty crappy. I have a Maxtor 80Gb Drive on C and F (partitioned) and (dont laugh) and IBM Deskstar 40Gb (2Mb cache) drive as G (which i only use for audio/video and storgae (no applications)

I'm wanting to buy a WD Raptor 74Gb, SATA-150 and use it as my C drive for the O/S and Games, then use the Maxtor 80Gb for applications other than games and media storage.

BUT... I'm kinda dreading the whole process, I mean, sure, I can load the Raptor in as an additional drive, load XP onto it, and then make it my main drive, but it's gonna be complicated....

Ive looked at Ghost, but it looks complex...

Am i overcomplicating things, hey , perhaps it's time for a fresh install of XP anyway (oh the hours of updating XP and all the drivers...what fun)>..

Any comments, i guess I ended up just waffling really... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Some words that you need to consider. First of all, Ghost is an easy program and I own two versions of it, but I would not use it for this process. If I were you, I would just start from the beginning and load a new OS on this baby and bite the bullet. When working with Sata, it would be best that you load directly and not ghost from fragmented drives. That is my opinion. Good luck in your adventure.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Ghost probably wouldn't work in this senario unless you pre-load the SATA controller drivers onto the present OS. Your best bet is Tumbleweed36's advice and load a fresh copy of the OS.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hey the advice you have been given is excellent !! Fresh install

the only thing I would add is make sure you slipstream service pack 2 onto a burnable cd BEFORE you load the OS / there are alot of improvements in SP-2 especailly for sata drives and its ESSENTIAL if you choose a drive larger thasn 137 gig (windows limit but fixed by sp-2)

here is the link for auto streamer / its kindergarten easy
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

pay attention to the screenshots

also here is where you go to get SP-2 / you will need the multiple computers version (towards bottom of webpage) the network version or "for multiple machines as they call it" is needed to get sp-2 into a folder on your hard drive as autostreamer will need a copy of sp-2 in a folder or cd disk / dont use regular windows update because that populates sp-2 directly into your windows system immediately / then you wont have the files needed for the slipstream process
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.