Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read several threads with similar problems and it seems that the "blue screen" of old Windows crashes has been replaced with the "black screen of death". Anyway, I'm trying to get an older HP running. I get the Windows splash screen then the above described "black screen". I get this in "safe mode", also. I'm starting to lean towards the hard drive and will start trying to find out what brand it is and go to their web site and see if they have a utility program to check it. If anyone has any suggestions, they will be appreciated...

It's running Windows XP Home with 128mg of ram; just a basic box, nothing special...Thanks in advance, dm

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Also, this black screen you're talking about - are you actually getting an error come up on screen or is this just a completely blank screen. If there is an error, can you post it in full so we can guide you further in rectifying the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No error codes. I haved tried booting from a XP CD and a XP floppy and it still goes through the same sequence. I have a spare hard drive with XP pro on it, but I have never just layed a hard drive in the case and swapped IDE cables and power. Will this work? Or will the differences in devices screw it up? I guess if I get pass the "black screen" it will tell something. I miss quoted the ram, it has 256mg...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
the extra hard drive with xp on it has to have been made on the specific motherboard, ect
or you will have to format it witha xp disk.

·
TSF Security Team, Emeritus
6,962 Posts
Do not overlook the video card and a hard drive issue. Both can..and will give you a "Black Screen" or "Freeze" right after the spash screen. If you suspect a hard drive issue or a bad boot.ini file...try this..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

There are also reports that SP2 can hang at a black screen when it has an issue with hardware in the PC. Since it sounds like your trying to get an old PC up and running...I would format this HD and install a fresh copy of XP on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On board video...If video card was bad would you see the splash screen. I haven't been able to get to bios. Can you disable the on board video from the bios and install a PCI video card?

dm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I plugged the spare hard drive in and it booted and ran fine. It had Windows 98 SE installed. So, I guess it going to be a hard drive issue. I have read some postings that described virus infection causing similar symptoms. I just downloaded a utility from Samsung called "hutil" and it is suppossed to be able to test the hard drive no matter what the state of the OS. Has anyone used this utility or one similar from another manufacture?

dm

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
If the drive is a Samsung, then it should work very well - all of the manufacturers supply tools like these and it's extremely important you have the right tool (ie don't try using the Samsung tool on a Western Digital drive). But as long as you have the right tool for your drive, it should work very well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:4-dontkno
Come on guys, I know that somebody is smarter than I am. I used the Samsung utility named HUTIL and the hard drive checks fine. This utility from a DOS bootdisk and the video seems fine. I still can't get to the bios to check to see if the cd drive is set to boot (F2, delete...). All I see is the Windows splash screen, then to "black"...I wouldn't be so persistant, but this is my sisters and she would like recover some data and I don't like being stumped. Can I run a virus scan such as Stinger from a bootable disk like I did HUTIL?

Help, dm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.