Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this thread in Hardware; Other devices or something like that, but very few people looked at the thread and no one replied. I dont think I had it in the right place, so I hope it's ok that I re-posted the same problem here.

Everytime I turn my computer on, Welcome to the found new hardware wizard pops for a device called nVidia WDM TV Audio Crossbar and another device called nVidia WDM TVTuner. The wizard wants to search for and install the proper software for these devices.

1st of all I have no idea what theses devices are or what purpose they serve, and 2nd when I did just decide to let it search for and install the software, it popped up with; Has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with Windows XP. So I stopped right there!

So I went to my device manager to try and find out some info and the devices are located un sound, video and game controllers as unknown devices. When I double click on them it says they are not configured correctly.
Also, right above those two devices there are two more devices called; nVidia WDM A/V Crossbar and nVidia WDM Video Capture (universal). Both of which are disabled because they are either not working properly or causing a resource conflict. (This is what it tells me)

I am so clueless as to what I should do???
Please help if you can

·
Registered
878 Posts
Means the correct drivers for your Video Card aren't properly installed or updated.

Head over to the nVidia website and snag up the latest version of drivers for your particular model video card and follow the directions for install.

Hasn't passed windows logo testing to ensure compatibility just means that Microsoft hasn't tested those particular drivers in house to make absolutely 100% sure the drivers are stable. With a reputable company such as nVidia, you can bet they've done plenty of their own testing to make sure they work and are stable.

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
That "Warnning" you've encountered means very little in the real world. What's going on is that Microsoft has their "Windows Hardware Quality Labs" program (WHQL), and they're using it to extort money from hardware developers. You see, If you are a developer and you don't submit your drivers to WHQL, then that nasty "AUG! PANIC! The driver might be dangerous!" pop-up comes along to give users like you a nice dose of Microsoft-sponsored "Fear Uncertainty and Doubt" (FUD) in an effort to scare you away from companies you didn't pay Microsoft for the privilage of being WHQL'd.

I've seen WHQL'd drivers that were utter crap, and I've seen WHQL'd drivers that had no problems. I've also see drivers that were never (and will never be) submitted to WHQL, drivers that worked flawlessly. On the whole, drivers that have received Microsoft's WHQL stamp-of-approval are safe to use. You can usually trust the WHQL program. A tech like me has to be a little more reserved in his assesments, and so it is that I have to discount the entire WHQL program and judge each new driver on it's own faults and it's own merits; not by what someone else said it was like. For a user like you, Jo777, you can rest assured that WHQL rarely screws it up. You can also rest assured that non-WHQL's drivers are not nessisarilly crap just becasue they don't have a WHQL logo stamped on them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to people like you...

and this whole tech support website, I am learning so much about my computer, proper functionality, what to do, what not to do. Where to go, who to ask, ect. Every person who has taken their time to shoot me some great advice, point me in the right direction, tell me not to worry or even taken me step by step through certain processes that totally saved my computer... Or atleast my sanity, :grin: I THANK YOU SOOO VERY MUCH! And have the utmost respect for everyone belonging to this website and volunteering their services just to be upstanding citizens and help someone in need!
You guys are all so great! I honestly dont know what I'd do with out you.
Maybe some day, having learned so much from all of you, I will be able to return the favor to someone in need simply by giving some of the great advice that has so often been given to me!!
:pray: Worthy of praise :luxhello:

Once again...THANKS SO MUCH!!
Jo777

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.