Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, i left my pc on over the weekend Sat morning - Sunday evening, upon return I rebooted it but when it turned on nothing happened. When i turn it on the monitor is just a black screen. There is only one light on which is the red one (i assume that is the light stating that the hard drive is running) it is solid not bliinking, but the green light is off ( i assume that is the power light). Here are my specs:

Home built PC
ECS Elitegroup PM800-M2 motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
Windows XP Home SP2
4 GB HD
512 RAM (2x256mb)
USB 2.0 expansion card in PCI with 2 ports, both had peripherals attached.
Regular CRT monitor (the monitor does cycle through its colors when unplugged from PC, so in know its not that.)
AGP ATI Radeon 9800 series video card
Sound Blaster audio card
Linksys Wireless card

I have attempted the following with no success:
1. Rebooted multiple times by holding power button until it powers off.
2. Disconnect from wall waited for 30 min and after no success retried waiting overnight.
3. reset my CMOS on the motherboard.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
What brand and wattage rating does your power supply have? A weak power supply could cause a boot failure. Do you have another or can you borrow a suitable power supply to try in your PC?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hi barry im not sure what brand it is it looks generic. but what i can tell you is that it has 350 watt max output. does that help? unfortunately i don't have another PS to try. Would it be the PS even if it still shows power to my USB keyboard and the red light on the front?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Are you getting any video, like the post screen? If you see a post screen
Can you boot into safe mode?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi doby, im not getting any video at all. the monitor light is yellow not green like it usually is when things are working. the monitor cycles through when unplugged from the video card so i don't believe the monitor is to blame. Any suggestions?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
First remove all usb devices that you can, if you have a keyboard and mouse try ps2 if possible.

Then you should remove all add in cards except video and see if you can get a post.

If still no go remove all drives, even the boot drive just to see if you can get any video at all.

Is there a case speaker connected to this computer?
Are there any beeps?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
I just noticed something in your specs, "4 GB HD", Is this a typo?

If not that has to be a very old hdd, remove power from it and see if the computer will post

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
1stimebuilder, its late and I have work tomarrow but I am sure Barry or another tech will be along to help out.

Try the things I have mentioned and I will check in to see how you are doing tomarrow in the pm

·
Registered
906 Posts
Try what Doby suggested, remove whatever load you can from the system. All you really need to light the monitor and post is a CPU, Ram and Video card. If it works start reconnecting things one thing at a time.The 350 Watt power supply is the bare minimum for the system you have. Since it is a generic supply I am suspicious of it. It can light up all sorts of things but if it is weak it would not be able to power the system properly to boot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I did what was suggested and removed all "extras" with no success. The hard drive is 25 Gigs, sorry about the typo. Still same problem though. Any other suggestions before I buy a new power supply?

Still no beeps, just the one solid red light on the front...Man im sick of seeing that!!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In case anyone wanted to know the outcome of this problem. I was able to get the computer to boot up with a new power supply. I went with a Rosewill 500 Watt PSU and the PC booted up instantly!! Thanks to everyone for all of their advise and I hope this thread will be usefull to someone else.
-1stimebuilder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.