Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
it's my first post here.
I am not sure is it a proper forum, so please (admin) move it afterwards.

It's bit a long story though... I lent my PC to my mate for a couple of months. When he gave it back to me he mentioned that Video Card has 'gone' and he replaced it.
My PC before I left it with my mate was an ATHLON XP 3200, 1 Gig RAM, but when I switched it on after lending, it turned up as an athlon 1100 !!!
I was told by someone that I need to change a FSB to 200 HZ in BIOS. I did it, PC switched on as a Athlon 3200 and then froze...it has happened many times... So I put 166Hz instead of 200 and then PC was working, but as Athlon 2500 and had some issues from time to time...
Recently I couldn't even kick it as Athlon 2500... I had to cripled it down to 1100 to make it work...
It's pain in my back, my mate told me he did nothing to my PC ( except burning Video Card) but I don't believe him. He mentioned, that after this problem he gave my computer to someone else to repair it( change Video card).
My PC was working perfectly as Athlon 3200 beforte, now is Athlon 1100 !!!!
I checked RAM memory, its 333 module, and I don't remember what model it was before. It means that I can't run it as Athlon 3200...
more over I don't know if someone changed my CPY for lower model, my RAM etc....
Worst thing is I don't have a budget for upgrade, plus all my HDs are IDE/ATA, GPU is AGP, RAM - outdated, so it means all goes directly to bin....
Please advice me what to do and what is the reason my PC has to be cripled to Athlon 1100 ??

thank you in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello guys,
it's my first post here.
I am not sure is it a proper forum, so please (admin) move it afterwards.

It's bit a long story though... I lent my PC to my mate for a couple of months. When he gave it back to me he mentioned that Video Card has 'gone' and he replaced it.
My PC before I left it with my mate was an ATHLON XP 3200, 1 Gig RAM, but when I switched it on after lending, it turned up as an athlon 1100 !!!
I was told by someone that I need to change a FSB to 200 HZ in BIOS. I did it, PC switched on as a Athlon 3200 and then froze...it has happened many times... So I put 166Hz instead of 200 and then PC was working, but as Athlon 2500 and had some issues from time to time...
Recently I couldn't even kick it as Athlon 2500... I had to cripled it down to 1100 to make it work...
It's pain in my back, my mate told me he did nothing to my PC ( except burning Video Card) but I don't believe him. He mentioned, that after this problem he gave my computer to someone else to repair it( change Video card).
My PC was working perfectly as Athlon 3200 beforte, now is Athlon 1100 !!!!
I checked RAM memory, its 333 module, and I don't remember what model it was before. It means that I can't run it as Athlon 3200...
more over I don't know if someone changed my CPY for lower model, my RAM etc....
Worst thing is I don't have a budget for upgrade, plus all my HDs are IDE/ATA, GPU is AGP, RAM - outdated, so it means all goes directly to bin....
Please advice me what to do and what is the reason my PC has to be cripled to Athlon 1100 ??

thank you in advance

anyone, please ????
I need to sort it out....my PC works at my studio as a recording device...

Please, maybe you can advice me where I can find an answer ???

thank you

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
My best suggestion, sit your friend down and sternly suggest he tells you precisely what he did to the PC while he had it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well....
my mate took an offence when I told him about issue and ther's no way to get this info from him...
so I started thread, maybe someone could tell me is it board broaken or what ?
what shoul I do ?

cheers

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
Sounds like your mate did some things he is not proud of . . first thing to do is enter BIOS and reset it to defaults . . that will undo any "tweaking" he may have attempted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pc spec:

win xp
asus a7n8x deluxe board
athlon xp ( it used to be 3200..)
2x512 kingston ram 333
2x wami rack / pci audio interface
3x barracuda ide disks

he's an anti computer freak, so I reckon he wasn't even able to open computer case...
however he gave it his mate to repair it...
BIOS was set up as defaults, and it starts as athlon 1100 !!!!
and it was athlon 3200 xp..
what's wrong ????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does not need to be opened to be messed with . .

With BIOS now set to defaults, can you set the FSB to 200?
yes, but it won't run until i give cpu extra volts, like from 1,6 to 1,7
and even after this pc will switch off and restart during working:(
by the way, ram is 333 at the moment, so it's not supporting 200 hz fsb?

thanks for help

PS. at the moment it runs at 166hz, without problems...thanx god for this..but i need add extra fem milivolts to cpu, 1,7 v at the moment to keep it stable

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heloo guys,

I don't remember what was a Graphic before...it was a fanless good quality pci card with double monitpr and vhs output as well.
I will check what it is at the moment, it's some sort of cheapest substitute, fanless as well.
As a Power supply, I need to check in docs, 'cause my PC is special...doesn't have PS inside a case, but in a separate case....it's HAL9009:)

thank you for support guys I will keep you updated whrn I get back home and check

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cannot find anything on this HAL9009
Hi I got it:

PS -Chieftec 350w,
GPU -ATI Radeon 9200, 128 Mb

you can't find HAL9009 anymore...the company stopped production PC's few years ago...
I can send you some photos guys if you want
whole idea is to make PC extremely quiet, and don't fill it with water or any other liquid:)
so it has separate PS ( about 3 m long cable) with individual cooling system (PAPST fan) and inside case( rack 4U) are 3 PAPST fans and zalmann radiator
HD have radiators and are mounted on rubber construction,
whole construction is filled with expensive 3
it's extremely quiet, you can hear it from about 10 cm,
you can use condenser mics in same room with HAL9009
plus it looks really cool

thanx

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
if HAL9009 is a water cooler you need to have water in it if it is connected to cpu and or a video water block
see if you can borrow a 550w to try in it to see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if HAL9009 is a water cooler you need to have water in it if it is connected to cpu and or a video water block
see if you can borrow a 550w to try in it to see if it makes a difference
not at all!
HAL9009 is only air cooled!
plus I can't swap PSU...that's a problem:(
because if I need to swap, I will have to unsolder and solder all cables in separate PSU...

cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.