Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to this forum although I have been exploring it alot this is my first actual post. A couple of weeks ago I did a scandsk on my harddrive to check for errors, which took 4 hours to complete and when it did finish I got an error message telling me to change my performance settings on my system BUT windows did not completely boot up, instead windows froze up before I could do anything. I rebooted and I got the error message telling me to select proper boot media device or insert boot media disk. (I have a Sony, VGC-RA820G). I went into my BIOS and everything looked fine but I still got the error message. I then decided to reformat my harddrive and received the error message that my partition couldn't be fixed, hardrive was then replaced and still got the same error message. Then Sony told me that I needed to replace my motherboard, processor and memory which has been done although 2 of my memory cards were reused, computer was up and running for about an hour before it then, after I did my windows updates and installed Avast and then tried to open Connect (preinstalled into the PC) it, my computer, decided to reboot and told me to select safemode, safemode with prompt or last reboot configs. I tried all my options to no avail, the computer just kept rebooting giving me the same options. Then I went into my BIOS, again everything looked fine, checked my connections in the pc, everything looked fine there too. Then I got the blue screen telling me that there was a windows problem and NOW my monitor is not even detecting a signal from my computer. HELP!!! How does something like this happen and what could be wrong?!?! Here are my specs,

Intel Pentium 4 processor 540 with Intel Hyper threading
200GB Harddrive7200rpm SATA
Expanded memory to 2GB PC-3200 400MHZ DDR
Windows XP operating system

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone gone through this before? Or anything like it? Really I think I just want to understand how this could happen. Thanks to anyone who responds! If if it's just a guess.....I think it could be my Video causing a conflict. :4-dontkno Thanks!

·
UK
1,128 Posts
Are you able to boot into the BIOS screen?

If you can, try a repair install of windows.

If not and your monitor is just blank but your PC is running (you can hear the fans, etc) try swapping the video card over with a suitable replacement.

If the whole system seems dead, change the Power Supply Unit.

Another thing to try is to remove any non-essential hardware, PCI cards, etc, and try starting with just one stick of RAM memory installed.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.