Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HP DV9700 laptop's default harddrive just died and has all the recovery partitions on it. I do have the windows restore cds that I created from it (the ones that you can only create once), however I have never used them before and always formatted using f11. I get the boot.cde error that I googled and it was due to a failed harddrove so now I cannot format the computer.

So the question would be, if I get a new harddrive how would I put windows on it. Even if I just install windows on the new harddrive I would be missing device drivers than come from factory settings. What I want to do is refrain from purchasing a windows copy since I believe the windows restore cds that I created have them. So I guess the best solution would be to purchase a new harddrive, and I assume the restore cds would work if I place in the first dvd and it would boot.
EDIT:Windows Vista Home

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,378 Posts
If you created restore cds and replace your hard drive, you should be able to put in disc 1 (or a disc that you were told to label as a Boot Disc), and boot to the cd to start the restore process. The version of Windows, any device drivers, files, etc., will be restored back to the way they were on the day you made the CDs.

I don't recall exactly how the HP process creates their images, but most utilities image everything on your hard drive, including the hidden restore partitions. You might even try booting to your 1st cd before you replace your drive to see what the steps are.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I just bought a new HDD that is perfectly compatible, a western digital black, sata. I am now trying to use my two double layer dvds to run through the recovery process. Now my optical drive is broken (the laptop one), but I dont think that matters because the external drive is detected in the boot process ("Atapi dvd/cd drive" is in higher priority than "Notebook dvd/cd drive").

So I put the disc in and turn on my laptop. Nothing happens... I get the obvious "Operating System not found", and these two double layer discs are the ones I made 3 years ago with the factory settings.

·
4,378 Posts
I think I understand.... You will have to go into your BIOS setup page to select the boot order. External DVD, Internal DVD, Hard drive, etc. - whichever. But, before you go nuts, make sure your external DVD drive will read dual layer discs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I formatted the computer sucessfully,however I posted a new problem I got under hardware. I was using this mouse before the formatting and after the format it wouldn't get detected... Plugged in another mouse and it gets detected. Plug the broken mouse (wireless receiver) onto another computer wont work either (when it was working 1 hour ago). Starting to thing it was a huge coincidence that the mouse died during the format procedure. Then I got this problem with the external hdd being detected as Initio Combo under device manager. I hope I'll receive help for these topics under hardware, thanks for the help in this thread however.

·
4,378 Posts
Does that mean you got Windows restored? If so, go back to the HP website and download updates for your chipset drivers, etc. Then get all your Windows updates. After that you can work on the mouse if it's still a problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so... im currently in a very wierd situation now with the mice that I have... So you recalled on the restored laptop the wireless mouse was not working hence I plugged in a wired mouse that worked. After doing a symnatics update from windows update the the wired mouse stopped working and the wireless mouse still doesn't work. Now... I take my wired mouse back upstairs to plug into the laptop that has absolutely no problems... and it doesn't work...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.