Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the hardcano fan assembly which has a sensor that supposedly fits underneath the CPU? The sensor I have is a brownish color and is somewhat too long to fit underneath the P4-3.0GHz CPU that I have. Is this something that needs to get cut down? The sensor itself is extremely thin, and its purpose is to monitor the inside core temperature of the CPU.

Does anyone know how this sensor fits in the core? The manual that comes with the unit really only shows how to weave the wires through the pins on the CPU. That illustration I think is mostly for an AMD type processor? The pins on my Pentium CPU are very close together, and the base of the wires where the element connects to has thick sheaths will not fit between the pins on the CPU. However, once you get past the thich sheaths the wires narrow considerably. This portion of the wires will fit between the pins on the CPU.

Does anyone know if this element is supposed to be cut, or folded over, or something? Thanks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Most P4 motherboards have a built-in sensor already for this. Could you use this rather than the odd sensor?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I wouldn't be hacking anything off the sensor, I suspect you'll kill it if you do. Hard to say how to solve the problem, this is clearly a "hands on" kind of issue. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
this happens all the time for me tom bianco. Basicly what i do is go through the pins at a corner or diagnaly so that the thing part is between the pins and the thik part is inside the rows of pins. You should have also been given a little square of thermal tape with your heatsink, cut a small piece off and use it to secure the sensor to the cpu. I wouldnt worry about the sensor being in the exactly middle of the cpu either. im pretty sure it will get similar readings from anywhere inside the pins. I use volcano heatsinks all the time, and this is always a small issue for me, but what i just told you works flawlessly for me. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.