Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made a new computer and settled with a Linkworld Mid ATX Tower (can see it here)
and as far as Hard drives go I am using a WD Raptor 74GB SATA 10k RPM drive (seen here)
along with 3 WD 250GB SATA drives formed in a RAID5 array (seen here)

Now the problem I am having is the other day I was screwing around with my computer and was playing with my video card and my finger touched one of the hard drives and it was so hot I felt like I had been burned (mind you, the computer had been off for a few moments). If you take a look at the pictures of my case here is what the HD area looks like this and as you can see there is an 80mm intake blowing right on the HDs and I also jimmy rigged another 80mm fan on top of that one. I have my 74GB on the very bottom of the 5 HD slots and the 3 HDs for the array on the top 3. I have never had trouble with HD heat so I'm not even sure what precautions or test I should preform. After checking my video card temp a few times its only normally 50-55C and everything in preforming fine.

Is there anything I could to keep them a little cooler?

Also sorry if this is supposed to be in the Hard Drive forum but it just seemed to me it might be the case or the case setup I have. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If I understand it right you have three drives basically stacked directly on top of each other (maybe just a small air gap between them), correct? This is not a very good arrangement as they will suffer from heat problems (as you have already found out). There are quite a few different hard drive coolers (like this one) on the market but they require space to install them (they bolt on the hard drive case).

What I would be doing is moving one of the drives up into one of the 5¼ bays (using a suitable mounting adapter) and then spreading the 3 remaining drives so that you have the height of a drive clearance between them (one in bay 1, next in bay 3 and the last in bay 5). You may have to get longer cables for this to work but you will improve the cooling by doing it. If you are currently connecting them with flat ribbon cable you might consider getting the round cables instead (to improve air circulation). Test the system for a few days and see if the temps improve. If they are still hot then consider the coolers that I linked to before.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

KEV gave you some excellent advice if you are "committed" to sticking with your current box.

In your senario I personally would abandon the Mid tower and migrate to a Full Tower Server case when using 5 hard drives there just isnt enough room for added case fans for such a busy box!

Have a peek at some of the Coolermaster Full towers (newegg.com) and you will begin to see what I am talking about they have mounting areas for at least 7 80mm fans some full tower cases have 2 @ 120mm and [email protected] 80mm]

you need more air intake in that case and alot of it! You will experience hard drive data corruption or maybe failure at 55C you have to be at that now to burn your finger!

you could always sell off your old case on ebay or similar

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a bunch. I managed to get 1 of the HDs to in a normal floppy slot (only have screws on the front of the HD but theres some hinges keeping it upright) as a temp fix but thanks for the 5 1/2 mount. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The adapter (or bracket) that I had in mind was like these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.