Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

am trying to clean up my pc.. upon entering bios and doing some cleanups I came across this message Primary 1 test 1 bad hard drive needs replacement code 7
then I come across primary 0 which is working properly. my question what is the difference between primary 1 and primary 0 and what would be stored on the primary 1 that I need to be concerned with? thank you:rolleyes:

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Do you have more than one hard drive?

What that is telling you is the primary hard drive 'Primary 0' is fine, but the drive on the second channel 'Primary 1' is bad (or missing). There is no telling what may be stored on the second drive, if the second drive even exists.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
compaq presario 5000 series- xp version 2002 service pk 3-amd duron (tm) processor- 701 mhz- 576 mb ram- 2 hds one is 80g and the other is 40g of course not all that is available

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Does your computer still boot into windows? If so does it list both hard drives in My Computer?

If it does not show up then we need to check the cable connections and make sure they did not come lose. If it does show up let me know before proceeding.

Before continuing, I want to be sure this PC is no longer under warranty, opening the case can void warranties.

If that is not an issue, and if you feel comfortable opening the case, then we are looking for the big flat ribbon cables and the power cable inside your case connected to the two hard drives. Make sure they are secure on both drives, and where they connect to the motherboard, and let me know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, it boots, older model 2002 so not under warranty, cable are tight, Primary one shows bad hd needs replacement code 7, primary 0 shows working and code 0. I have done a chkdsk shows 480kb bad sectors in drive D drives that show are c,d and dvd/cd/ and floppy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.