Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have recently had some problems with my laptop. I had to reformat my hard drive and found that the laptop refused to boot from the dvd-rom drive. So I used a boot disk, but since I was using an installation disk from Dell, the computer did not recognize the cd I put in as a the Windows XP cd the boot disk was set up for. So I decided to buy a $7 adaptor from Fry's that allows me to install the the hard drive from my laptop into my desktop so I can use the hardware from my desktop to install XP onto the hd. The install went well. However, when I reinstalled the hard drive into my laptop, it wouldnt boot because it didnt recognize any of the hardware. Apparently XP makes a note of the hardware used to install it so when I changed the hardware on it, XP freaked out and wont start. The computer still wont boot from the dvd-drive and I cant figure it out why. The BIOS still reads all the hardware as the laptops hardware. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Also, does removing the hard drive void my warranty? I called technical support and ran my idea by them before I actually did it and they didnt mention anything about it voiding my warranty, so maybe not. Those technicians are retaded anyway.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't know anything about laptops but I'm sure there must be a bios in there. Have you tried changing the boot sequence to boot from CD-Rom first?

Oh! and welcome to the forums ajunv............:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I went into the BIOS and changed the boot sequence many many many times. And thank you for the warm welcome. The Dell technician couldnt figure out why the computer wouldnt boot from the DVD drive either so he gave up and told me to do some totally useless thing and then hung up.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Using your little adapter again, try clearing off the hard drive and just copying the I386 directory to the hard disk. Then re-install the disk into your laptop, and boot from a MS-DOS boot floppy. You can run the install from the I386 directory, I believe it's WINNT to kick it off.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
In addition to Johnwill:
Make sure your boot floppy contains the smartdrv.exe file. Load this in your autoexec.bat or from the command prompt after you boot from floppy. This will make your installation a lot faster.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
idtent said:
In addition to Johnwill:
Make sure your boot floppy contains the smartdrv.exe file. Load this in your autoexec.bat or from the command prompt after you boot from floppy. This will make your installation a lot faster.
VERY GOOD POINT! All my boot disks have SMARTDRV on them, but I forget sometimes to mention it's importance for the install. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How would I copy the I386 directory to the hard disk without installing any kind of operating system first?

Edit: My boot disk does have the smartdrv.exe but I am not sure how to use it, nor do I know how to load it into the autoexec.bat.

Thanks for the help.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, you can get a MS-DOS boot disk from Bootdisk that has SMARTDRV and CD drivers. This is all that's required to run the installation from the I386 directory. Obviously, I'm assuming you will format with FAT32 for this process, since you can't access NTFS filesystems with MS-DOS.

Another way to do the installation is to boot with the above procured boot disk, and just go directly to the CD directory I386 and run the setup from there. That way, you can still use NTFS on the hard disk, since you won't be reading it with MS-DOS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That is a very good suggestion, but there is one thing I guess I didnt mention. I have tried going to the cd directory and using setup.exe and winnt but it says the drive is not ready for reading. Basically, my laptop is not able to use my dvd drive. It almost seems like it doesnt have the drivers for the DVD drive.

Edit: I got my bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com but I didnt realize it had drivers on it. Is there something I need to do in order to access those drivers?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you can't read the DVD at all, then you're probably stuck with formatting the disk FAT32 in your other system, copying the I386 directory to it, and booting from the boot disk and installing. You can always use something like PartitionMagic to convert to NTFS if you like later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am very sorry. I swear I am not retarded, but I do not follow you. If I format to FAT32 using the laptop hd on my other system, how can I copy the I386 directory directly to it? In order to get to that directory I need to be able to access the XP installation disk which I can't do unless it is in my desktop and I dont think I can save the directory to the hard drive without installing XP first. Oh sheissen, do you mean run the Win98 boot disk on my desktop and format the hard drive, copy the files to the hard drive by accessing the cd from DOS and then saving? That is brilliant. If I am totally turned around, try not to laugh too hard and point me in the right direction. :D

If that is what you meant, how would I go about doing such a thing in DOS? I dont really know the commands.

So lets say I have formatted the hard drive to be drive c:. Now, I have accessed my cd-rom drive with the installation disk so I have:

E:\ "what do I type here to copy the I386 directory to c:"

Thanks

·
1,038 Posts
Put the laptop drive in a win98,me,2000,xp machine as a slave drive.

In windows Right click on the drive and format it using the fat32 file system.

If you want to boot your computer with only the laptop drive (not using the laptop) boot with win98 setup disk (can make one from control panel in win98: add remove programs and the make setup disk option)

Copy format.com to the floppy disk.

at the a: prompt after booting [enter] is the "enter key"
type:
c: [enter]
Prompt now reads c:\ type:
format c: [enter]
Type:
Y [enter]

If you loaded the cdrom drivers from the boot disk put the xp installation cd into your cdrom drive.

if the cd is d:
type:
md i386 [enter]
cd i386 [enter]
copy d:\i386\*.*

After you are done put the laptop harddrive back in the laptop
(ignore the next paragraph and read the rest)

After you format the drive with fat32 on your computer, copy the files from the xp cd in the i386 folder. (Right click on the i386 folder on the xp installation cd and select 'copy.) Right click on the newly formatted laptop drive and click the 'paste' option. this will take a few minutes.

After this re-install the laptop harddrive. Boot with the bootdisk you have.

At a c:\ prompt:
type:
cd i386
then type
winnt

I hope that winnt is the correct file. Somebody help me with this one.

You don't need cd-rom drivers installed if the i386 directory is copied to the hard drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I am going to need to use the Win98 bootdisk to fdisk the laptop hard drive again. Then I format the hard drive into a Primary DOS partition with this win 98 disk. Then I type all that crap in order to copy the i386 directory. THen I run the file winnt from the c:. Thank you very much. By the way, I am pretty sure that you are correct in the file name.

Everyone, if this works, I swear it will be at least another day or two until you hear me complaining. :D Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate the help you all have given me. Hopefully this will work. :D

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Actually, you're close. You want to copy the I386 directory to the laptop hard disk, so it'll have nothing but that on it when you put it back into the machine. Next, boot from the boot floppy, and type:

C:
CD /I386
WINNT

This should start the XP installation procedure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay...I did all that and the setup started. However, when it went to the WinXP install screen, I got a message that reads:
"The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK."

The message comes without a browse button and the default directory is C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386

What if I were to copy all of the files from the CD-ROM to the hard drive and then run setup.exe. Would that work the same way or would I run into problems?

I explored the CD-ROM and there is no file named "asms". There is a directory "asms" within the I386 folder but no file...

I didnt get this message when I booted from the cd in my desktop and installed it on the laptop hd

·
1,038 Posts
copy the entire i386 directory over. See if that helps???

in dos

Copy a file from win98 called xcopy.exe to the floppy disc.

In dos.

xcopy d:\i386\*.* c:\i386\ /s/e

The command line switches are for copy sub directories and the /e is even if they are empty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
dont have a win98 or winME cd-rom or else I would.

Maybe I can find the xcopy tool online...

Edit: I do have access to a WinME machine. That would work. Thanks.

Edit#2: Hehe, just kidding. My boot disk already has those on it. :rolleyes: I am retarded

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, I have successfully installed Windows XP onto the laptop only to find that the DVD drive still doesnt work. But that has to be a problem with hardware and nothing I can do about it. I really appreciate all of the help you guys have given me. Thank you so very much!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.