Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am attempting to repair a clone pc running a P4 1.60aghz 400mhz bus processor, 256 ram, Biostar M7SXGmb, 300 watt ps.

Over a years time the hard drive has become unmounted 4 times, or roughly every 2.5 to 3.5 months with the inability to restore and the loss of all data.

The shop where it was purchased a year ago has refused to work on it under warranty anymore. They claim that over that year under they have replaced almost everything but the processor, the fd and the cd and dvd rom drives under warranty and they are not responsible anymore.

The amount of work that they claim having done is supported by the pile of work orders that the owner gave me with the system.

The shop tech has said numerous times that the problem is probably caused by faulty househod wiring or that the computer is being kept in a dusty area. Both possibilities are unlikely since the owner keeps an immaculate home and different rooms and outlets have been tested with the same result.

It's had 2 new hd, 1 new mb, 1 new ps, 2 new fans, and new cables over that year or so.

I was prepared to replace the mb until I saw in the work orders that this had already been done a few months ago.

Naturally I'm expecting that the culprit's gotta be the processor, given that nearly everything else that might be involved has been replaced.

Before I put another expensive processor in it, are there any other possibilites?

Is this processor known for this problem?

Thanks for reading.

John

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
IMO, it's very unlikely to be the processor. It's hard to say what the problem is, but the processor is one of the last places I'd look.

My approach to the problem would be to diagnose the components separately and try to determine what's actually going bad. If a hard disk is physically dying, I'd have to suspect the P/S. I also suspect that the shop may be laying down the BS as to what's been replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.