Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ey guys,

Need some info on solving a bit of a problem ive got. I got a 120Gb HDD running XP that will no longer boot XP, the problem is insolveable, unless by reformat. In just saying that, i cannot reformat as there is much valuable information on the drive. However, i do have a 5Gb HDD that has windows 98 running on it. Is it possible to hook that one up in my computer, boot Win 98 off it, so I could access my other drive and burn the information i required to DVD's? And then reformat?
Any help is aprreciated, thx

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hi,
Have you considered doing a repair of your Xp installation?
What sort of error messages are you getting that prevents you from booting into Xp?
Here's one way of booting up with your 5Gb HDD.......But before you do this, give us some more info about why it won't boot......
You could try connecting the 120Gb HDD as a 'slave', and the 5Gb as the 'master'.
To do this physically look at the pins [next to the power plug] on each of the drives and set the jumper pins to the appropriate slots [the master might not need any pins at all]..it will show [hopefully] 'Single or Master' without any pins, and the other will need to connected as a 'Slave'.
Your biggest problem will be that you might not have enough space with your 5Gb HDD...if you can get it to boot, try copying what you need to CD's, but don't try copying any of the system files, as they will not work afterwards.
Let us all know the answers to these questions please.
Regards,
Dave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:

Thanks for your quick responce

Unfortunately ive been around on many tech forums and I've seen people with my current problem, and they have had to reformat eventually, but ill detail it to you anyway.

When I start my computer it firstly comes up with that error thingy where it tells you to choose a startup method (last good known config, normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with c prompt). Regardless of the startup method i choose, windows proceedes loading, then says that it will perform a disc check. Regardless of the fact in i choose to go ahead with the disc check or stop it before it begins, it restarts and the procedure begins again.

I have tried using windows boot disc, but i get error 4096, stating that it cannot find the file bootinfo.inf . Then it say press any key, the loop continues and it restarts... again.

I checked my motherboard and it has 3 outputs for HDD and such connections, one for the floppy disk (this seems to be different than the other two), one for the DVD burner (which has a small connector half way through the cable, blue strip on one side) and one for the HDD (which also has a small connector half way through the cable, red strip on one side) I'm not quite sure if these connector things are these 'Slave' connections though.

btw, i dont need to backup the whole 120Gb, probably only 20Gb, max

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
OK,
I suggest that you try this link...and when you get to the site, print out the 4 or so pages so that you have it in front of you.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

You will need to start up the computer with a DOS boot disc to do the proceedure.

Give it a try and don't stop the process until you have finished it totally, so kick the kids out :laugh: while you are doing it!
Good Luck
Let's know the result.
Dave.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.