Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I have a really weird problem with my hard drive: when I copy a file the initial transfer rate is at about 30 MB/sec but soon after it starts decreasing until it reaches 5 MB/sec (After that, it stays constant)

Specs:

Intel i7 920 2,66 gHz
6 Gb Ram
GeForce GTX 275
Seagate Barracuda LP 1000GB SATA2 32MB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I really don't understand why is my hard drive working so slow. For example, if I keep uTorrent opened and I'm downloading with 5.0 Mb/sec, my computer gets painfully slow and transfer rates are no bigger then 2-3 MB/sec.

I've attached some tests made with HDTune

Attachments

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
What is the model number of the drive (ST#########-####) If this is a 7200.11 family, check the serial number on Seagate's support site and se if there is a firmware update for that drive. (Lower right corner of the first support page for the serial checker link )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, Microsoft detects it as "ST31000520AS ATA Device"
Driver Date: 21.06.2006 (?!?)
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Later Edit: I've tried to find a firmware update on Seagate's website but it seems that my driver is already updated

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Firmware is not a driver, the firmware is based on serial number - not model number. You will need to pull the drive to see the label to see the serial number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it seems I've confused the two terms.. Seagate's website comes with a tool (DriveDetect) that determines your model and serial number so I didn't have to pull out my hard disk. Using it I couldn't find any firmware update... But I'll pull out my drive and do everything manually just to be sure. I'll post the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.