Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a dell laptop with a SATA hard drive and windows XP pro on it. I want to clean that drive and put it into a toshiba. I firist tried to just swap the drives then have the windows CD in the toshibe but after I boot the PC windows does the loading files a blue screen comes up that says there is a problem and restart.

Next I put the drive in the Dell and used windows to delete the partion. I did not create any new ones. I then put the drive in the toshiba and same thing. Next I put back into the dell and created a partion but still same thing.

This drive worked fine in the dell the OS worked with no problems. But now I am unable to use it in the toshiba.

Both PC have SATA driver the dell is 160GB and toshiba was 500GB but is not working anymore

Any ideas why?

·
Premium Member
19,848 Posts
clarification - you are not that clear on a point or two. When you insert the dell drive in the toshiba, did you try booting with the win xp disk? or did you try booting the harddrive? You will not be able to boot the harddrive since it has dell motherboard drivers installed. If you install the drive and boot to the xp disk, you should be able to install xp or just formate the drive in the xp recovery console.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to boot with a win xp disk all times. Did nothing. The drive had Win 7 installed when was in the dell. I was trying to get win xp pro on it after i deleted partion to put into the toshiba. I was unable to. I would always get the blue screen after it said loading files with the XP pro disk in. But when I used the win 7 disk I was able to load that with no prob.

I had this problem before when I tried to load XP pro on a drive that had win Vista on it before the deleteing the partion. I did get it to work last time but I am not sure how. But i did have the same prob with the blue screen when trying to get the xp. I am not sure how I finally got it to work last time but I do remember it took a long time but this time I gave up and just put the win 7 on it.
I am not sure why it gives me a problem everytime I try to put XP on a drive that had vista or 7 on it before.

I am confused cause I always thought that when I delete the partion before I put it into the Toshiba that the drive should be clean.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

XP Help And Support: 108. How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

How To Slipstream SATA Drivers Into XP CD

or

Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation - How-To Geek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.