Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have a 120gb hard drive and it is currently at 107gb/111gb when I look at C drive. Is the max 111gb instead of 120gb for a reason? When I bought it from dell 120gb was the listed spec.

Anyway, I have about 6 games installed. These range from fear, battlefield 2, sims2, age of empires 3, etc. This brings up the space for these games around 25gb? Give or take.

Now the main culprit seems to be "Documents and settings" in C drive, coming to a total of 67gb. Should it be this much? When I look in the folder all folders total to around 6gb, I can't find the other 61gb of folders!?

I can't defrag my computer since I need 20% free on the hard drive to do so.

Any tools out there that can clean stuff up, or any advice to help me get some more room? I really don't know what's clogging up this pc so bad, I've only had it a year.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
first try cleanup, the link is below, but uncheck "temporary files' in the menu that it will clean.
post back

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

to answer for first question / hard drive manufacturer's consider a gig to be 1000mb yet windows considers a gig to be 1024 mb so after you do the math
your drive should (about 117 gig + or - ) be seen as smaller than what the manufacturer "advertised" capacity

as for the 61GB in the documents folder / NO WAY is that normal
this smells like a virus ??????
if you look for posts in this forum made by STU COMPUTER or PURPLE SKY you will find free virus and spyware scanners in their signatures at bottom of their posts (trend something) seems to be a well thought of virus scanner

i suggest you post back after scanning

you may also need to head to the security section of this forum and run a hijack this program and paste you log file with them. they are very experienced in computer security area of things.

good luck

joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, running cleanup now.

I ran spyware doctor and mcafee anti virus yesterday so I don't think it would be a virus.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay, well treesize says Luke (my account) is 68,000 mb... the other users on this comp are only like 700mb in their folders.

How can I check the size of my system restore?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, it turned out I had like 50gb of uncompleted movies/games from Azureus. Once deleted I now have 50gb more free space. :)

Thanks guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.