Tech Support banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's laptop is so slow, and found out the hard drive is running 100% of the time. I did search it, and tried most of the stuff like stopping some exe file in command prompt, hard drive check disk, but no go.

I also did the same thing on my desktop which has the same issue. Both computers running windows 10. Sounds like a windows 10 issue. My laptop on the other hand is running windows 10 flawlessly. I have a dataram ssd 2.5" hard drive in my laptop.

The desktop I did get the percentage to drop after startup, but it fluctuates a lot even while idling. My laptop goes from 0-2% when idle.

I am really debating just getting SSD hard drives for my wife's laptop, and my desktop. Its like going from Dial up internet to High speed internet. Thats the difference with the 100% hard drive use all the time vs my laptop.

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,485 Posts
I think the best idea is first to have a look at what you're running.

When you say "100% hard drive use", do you mean the cpu is running at 100% in task manager?

• Please download Speccy System Information Tool and save it to somewhere convenient such as your desktop.

• Close any programs that may be running including your browser and double click Speccy.exe to run the tool.

• Watch out for any offers to install other programs such as google chrome and untick the box(es) if you don't want them.

• Speccy will very quickly scan your pc and create a report.

• Top left of screen click file and select Publish Snapshot...

• Click Yes to proceed.

• Copy the URL to your clipboard and paste it into your next reply.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Your CPU usage looks alright. You must mean the hard drive LED is on all the time. Fortunately, the HD is not running hot. Even so, drive thrashing, as it's sometimes called, is not good. What happens if you have it do a cold restart? Shut it down, wait a minute, then restart it. Does this activity resume?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about the hard drive light. When i shut down, and turn it back on its the same results. I am just thinking new hard drive, cause not sure what else could cause this. Not like either computer has a lot.

My Desktop for example only has games installed. Mostly use internet on my laptop. Internet is sluggish too with the hard drives at 100%

·
Registered
686 Posts
Not sure about the hard drive light. When i shut down, and turn it back on its the same results. I am just thinking new hard drive, cause not sure what else could cause this. Not like either computer has a lot.

My Desktop for example only has games installed. Mostly use internet on my laptop. Internet is sluggish too with the hard drives at 100%
If you have two separate systems, a laptop and a desktop, having the same problem, then I may not be understanding what you mean by "hard drive at 100%." In the Task Manager, the third item down the left side is marked "Disk." Is this where you are seeing 100%? It should be a very low value after a reboot is complete. Mine sometimes drops to 0% just sitting and doing nothing. Your original post mentions SSD's. They will have very short lives if a solution is not found soon.

Somehow, I get the feeling you have a nasty virus on both systems. If this is the case, then a complete hard drive wipe and reload may be necessary. I take it that you have the CD's and drivers for both? If this is a virus, then I don't understand why Windows Security built into Windows 10 didn't catch it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you have two separate systems, a laptop and a desktop, having the same problem, then I may not be understanding what you mean by "hard drive at 100%." In the Task Manager, the third item down the left side is marked "Disk." Is this where you are seeing 100%? It should be a very low value after a reboot is complete. Mine sometimes drops to 0% just sitting and doing nothing. Your original post mentions SSD's. They will have very short lives if a solution is not found soon.

Somehow, I get the feeling you have a nasty virus on both systems. If this is the case, then a complete hard drive wipe and reload may be necessary. I take it that you have the CD's and drivers for both? If this is a virus, then I don't understand why Windows Security built into Windows 10 didn't catch it.
I agree. Its strange. Task manager is where the values are. My laptop with an SSD, and windows 10 is 0%-2% idle. Even after rebooting the desktop, and wife's laptop is at 100%. Its just strange, cause the Desktop I just got Windows 10 on, and just games hasn't been online much. I turn the Desktop on once a week if that, and its strange if a Virus got transferred over the wifi, cause my laptop is on 24/7, and is completely fine.

I do have windows 10 discs, and cd keys for all my computers so thats no issue.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am pleased you found the problem and corrected it. I checked both of my Windows 10 systems. It is running on both. I wonder if this has anything to do with the "Home" version? Both of mine are "Professional."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I have windows 10 home on all 3 computers. Its just strange that 2 of them got effected by that service.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks. I have windows 10 home on all 3 computers. Its just strange that 2 of them got effected by that service.
I may temporarily disable it on one of mine to see if it makes any difference. It may have something to do with the "paging file." It's called Virtual Memory now. Having an allocation too large might cause this too.

·
Premium Member
41,923 Posts
If you have Windows 10 installed on an SSD, (Which you do not, but others may benefit) then, Superfetch performance improvements will be negligible. Since these memories are very fast, they do not need to preload data. If you want to achieve such an advantage, then you can read this article .

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife's laptop is so slow, and found out the hard drive is running 100% of the time. I did search it, and tried most of the stuff like stopping some exe file in command prompt, hard drive check disk, but no go.

I also did the same thing on my desktop which has the same issue. Both computers running windows 10. Sounds like a windows 10 issue. My laptop on the other hand is running windows 10 flawlessly. I have a dataram ssd 2.5" hard drive in my laptop.

The desktop I did get the percentage to drop after startup, but it fluctuates a lot even while idling. My laptop goes from 0-2% when idle.

I am really debating just getting SSD hard drives for my wife's laptop, and my desktop. Its like going from Dial up internet to High speed internet. Thats the difference with the 100% hard drive use all the time vs my laptop.
I have a work laptop that’s experiencing the same thing running windows 10. What I found to be the problem was Windows defender. It runs some sort of program almost every day that causes high CPU issues. Might be something for you to look into. And instead of looking at the graph chart go back one tab, and sort by usage under your CPU and you will see what program is actually causing the high usage.

my IT department, had to change something in the Registry editor in order to stop it from doing that. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts