Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I had a PIII 1 Ghz computer with an 80 Gig hard drive as master and a 30 Gig as Slave.... I recently purchased a new computer, PIV 3 Ghz and it came with an 80 Gig hard drive and I installed Windows XP Pro on it....It works fine and can see the full 80 Gig's of space. I then installed my older 80 Gig as the slave in my new system but it only see's it as a 32 Gig drive.

When the computer is booting up, you can see the POST detecting the Master as 80Gig and the Slave as 32Gig.....

Why would it recognize one 80 but not the other??

Thanks

Dean

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
when you installed the original 80G [the one from your P III] did you format and erase all data then partition it? that could be the issue,

i wouldn't think it would be a RAID issue, but i have never really dealt with RAID, i do however know windows does limit the max capacity of a HDD or atleast caps out how many MB or GB it can see. but that shouldn't be the problem here, i have an 80GB Master and a 120GB Slave, both work fine.

try formating and partitioning the secondary HDD and see if that should work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I deleted the existing partition and then created a new one and formatted it..... But It doesn't seem to be picking up in the boot process that it's an 80 Gig.... So, when I deleted the partition and created the new one, it only created a 32Gig Partition..... And that's what Windows XP see's.

If my bios picked it up as an 80, I think all would be ok.. But I'm not sure why this drive is not detecting as an 80 like my master is.... Weird

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.