Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm in desperate need of help with a sort of dumb problem i have...heres the outline:

-I have a SATA 200gb drive installed/working/with WindowsXP on it..its my main drive that ive used, and my only drive that i've used on my computer
-My brother's computer is busted...his windows is all corrupt, and i want to reformat his HD..however I couldn't do it on his computer so i wanted to do it on mine
-First I put the drive as Slave on IDE Channel1 (My mobo is DFI LANPARTY UT-Ultra-D)
-When I booted up, got into my desktop, it said the harddrive was found, but i couldn't access it at all. It didnt have a letter assigned to it like "C:" or "D:".
-Ok, I figured maybe i placed it in the wrong place...
-My CD-ROM drive was my main IDE drive. I removed my CD-ROM drive, put my brother's HD into the Master IDE drive on Channel one. Same thing...recognized it, but i can't access any of the files...

Any help? All i wanted to do was:

-Access some files so that my brother doesnt lose all his info on the HD...i.e. store them on my main harddrive on my comp.
-Reformat his HD so that I can reinstall windows on his computer.

:D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sounds to me like his hard drive is bad. You may want to try the manufacturers tools to recover the data and to verify that the drive is still working properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm like 100% sure the harddrive is working. I just cannot access the files or anything like that. The hard drive itself should work, its just that the windows on the hard drive is corrupt and pretty messed up. I just need to access some files so that my brother doesnt lose all his information, and then reformat the HD. As of right now, however, I can't access the files, as there is no drive letter assigned or anything like that. It shows up in disk management without a drive letter.

·
Registered
796 Posts
But the windows files became corrupt, correct? When troubleshooting a hard drive it is best to make sure that the hard drive is working. I am sure that you are going to get other requests to verify this. Sorry I can't help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.