Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm in desperate need of help with a sort of dumb problem i have...heres the outline:

-I have a SATA 200gb drive installed/working/with WindowsXP on it..its my main drive that ive used, and my only drive that i've used on my computer
-My brother's computer is busted...his windows is all corrupt, and i want to reformat his HD..however I couldn't do it on his computer so i wanted to do it on mine
-First I put the drive as Slave on IDE Channel1 (My mobo is DFI LANPARTY UT-Ultra-D)
-When I booted up, got into my desktop, it said the harddrive was found, but i couldn't access it at all. It didnt have a letter assigned to it like "C:" or "D:".
-Ok, I figured maybe i placed it in the wrong place...
-My CD-ROM drive was my main IDE drive. I removed my CD-ROM drive, put my brother's HD into the Master IDE drive on Channel one. Same thing...recognized it, but i can't access any of the files...

Any help? All i wanted to do was:

-Access some files so that my brother doesnt lose all his info on the HD...i.e. store them on my main harddrive on my comp.
-Reformat his HD so that I can reinstall windows on his computer.

:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm like 100% sure the harddrive is working. I just cannot access the files or anything like that. The hard drive itself should work, its just that the windows on the hard drive is corrupt and pretty messed up. I just need to access some files so that my brother doesnt lose all his information, and then reformat the HD. As of right now, however, I can't access the files, as there is no drive letter assigned or anything like that. It shows up in disk management without a drive letter.

·
Registered
796 Posts
But the windows files became corrupt, correct? When troubleshooting a hard drive it is best to make sure that the hard drive is working. I am sure that you are going to get other requests to verify this. Sorry I can't help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.