Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I try to start my comp it starts loading up fine then my whole comp restarts i didnt know if this was a problem with the hard drive or not...! It has been working fine until yesterday...! I was cleaning my heatsink and accidently knocked it off I replaced it immediately but never replace the thermal compund. When I started up my comp made a wierd warning noise so I turned it off. I put new thermal compound on and now when I start up when it gets to the login screen it just restarts...!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Please post specs, Motherboard, CPU, Power supply, Memory, Operating system.

Please tell us as much as you can in detail about what it does and when it does it. The windows login screen?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a P4 3.2ghz
Western Digital 7200RPM 120g hdRadeon AIW 9600xt
Corsair 512xms
Intel D865PERLL mobo
By the login screen I mean the area where it shows the sn's and you have to click on them to log in...! About 10 seconds after that shows up my comp just restarts...!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Please do not double post. You posted in 2 different areas.

Now to the problem.
What noises are you hearing, beeping when your machine first starts?
If it is beeping then it is the bios telling you something is wrong. It is a code, look it up in your motherboard manual and tell us what it sais.

How many beeps?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it just made a siren like beep when I tried to start it up the first time w/out replacing the thermal paste...! I took this as a warning and replaced it...! My hard drive just keeps restarting though...! But it is not making any noises any more,,,!

·
Registered
906 Posts
When your heatsink came off it may have damaged something, I would check the motherboard for any damage, burn spots or loose components. I would also see if the CPU, Ram sticks, cards are properly seated in their socket.

Go into bios and see if your bios has a hardware monitor and check the CPU temperatures.

Post back your results.

·
Registered
906 Posts
How long did you watch the temperature, was this right after booting or did you let it run for a while. 130Deg F is 55C a bit high but not at max yet, it could be that by the time you get to the login screen the temps go higher.

What about damage to the board, CPU, heatsink did you see anything?

I think you may have a temperature problem even though you replaced the heatsink and put new thermal compound on it. If the heatsink is damaged or the suface of the CPU is damaged then it could overheat. Too much thermal paste could also cause problems, a very thin coat that does not squirt out of the sides of the heatsink is all that is required.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No there is no damage to the mobo and I am running Windows XP Home Edition I have a feeling it may just be corrupted files in Windows XP but I am not positive...!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to do a clean install it will boot up now I can log in but everytime I try to connect to a wireless connection it keeps restarting...!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After I isntalled the Wireless B PCI adapter I am also getting one of those error report screens saying there was a problem with windows...! I am wondering why this wireless card would mak a difference...! It was working fine until this incident...!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Youre not the first person to get system crashes from a network card driver glitch !! Thats why you should stick with 3com !!

check the network card website for newer driver.

regards / joe

·
Registered
906 Posts
senorpaco34 said:
After I isntalled the Wireless B PCI adapter I am also getting one of those error report screens saying there was a problem with windows...! I am wondering why this wireless card would mak a difference...! It was working fine until this incident...!
Is the driver for this card the same version as you had before the problems started?

Try removing the card and unistalling the driver. If windows stops giving you error messages then there is something wrong with the card, drivers or the slot it is in. Try a different slot and reinstall the driver.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.