Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! This is my problem:
I was recording music to my computer when suddenly the music-software crashed, I tried to start it again but it didn't work. Everything else worked just fine though.. So I rebooted, but then Windows wouldn't start and there was a message that Master Drive (IBM 30GB) was unable to find, or corrupt, or something... And I think it made like a "crunchy" sound over and over..

I switched to an old Maxtor 8GB drive and installed WinXP on it instead, this is working, but I still can't get the slave HDD (IBM 40GB) to work... When I plug the slave in, Windows takes ages to load, and if it eventually loads everything goes in sloooowmotion and is hardly working at all... (and it does that crunchy noise again...)

What can I do to make the slave drive work? I guess it is no idea to try and save stuff from the "crashed" Masterdrive if I can't get the "working" slavedrive to work first...

I would REALLY appreciate some help!
/The swedish n00b :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for helping!
I tested the Maxtor drive, it was ok. The IBM slave-drive got a "Failure Code: 0x70", corrupted sector..
So it seems like both my IBM-drives got corrupted sectors at the same time, really strange... Anyway, the help-file said that I should run the "Erase Disk" utility. Is there no way to try and restore some stuff from the HDD?

/Crik

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You should be able to mark the sectors as bad and continue to use the drive. Bad sectors don't equal bad drives. The diagnostic software should have an option to mark the sectors as bad.

Have you tried chkdsk /f ? It should attempt to repiar(actually mark sectors as bad) as well as recover data

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
hwm54112 said:
Bad sectors don't equal bad drives.
This may be true however a drive with bad sectors may lead to more sectors becoming corrupt in the future. I, myself, see a failing drive and would replace it ASAP.

G

·
There is a good chance that when a HD gets a bad sector, it will keep getting bad sectors. Where I work we replace Hds if they get a bad sector. It is not like the old MFM HDs that had a bad sector map.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.