Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Lets clear something up here.

You mention you have a problem with your CD/R drive, but your post indicates "Hard Drive Problem?"

You also indicate HP's response was you had a hard drive problem?

It seems you do not have a hard drive problem, but an optical drive problem?

Sounds like you have verified the opitcal drive is a problem. If you know how to open the machine and remove the data cable, you almost have the optical drive out of the machine. There is a power cable that only connects 1 way, maybe a analog audio cable and 4 screws left. If you can get at the screws to remove the drive you are done.

I would consider replacing the drive with something like a CD/RW, CD/RW DVD player or a DVD/RW. The replacement optical drive should be the most part "Plug & Pray"!

Just be careful not to drop any screws inside the case that might short the motherboard. And I assume you know to unplug the machine before you open it up!

JamesO

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It must have been the nice Indian person in the overseas call center giving you mis-direction???

I do not know why, but optical drives and I do not get along. Out of all the hardware failure I have ever had, optical drives seem to be on the top of the list of most often failed items for me!!

JamesO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.