Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HP 751N machine that yesterday morning refuses to boot up. I get a screen that states an error has occured and I can choose either to boot in safe mode, normally, or last known good config. No matter what I select the computer will get to the XP loading screen and instantly restarts. Does anyone have any ideas how to get this up and running again?

It did not come with recovery cd's to restore it.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TSF bargainfreak

I don't know where you got this computer but it can't be much more than a year old! Listed below is the software that comes with it. So if I were you I'd be making some serious phone calls.

Complete software package
Operating system
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Data and security
· Detto Migration SW
· McAfee Security Suite
· SmartClone icon + url (data transfer between PCs through internet) by Skydesk
· Zeroknowledge Freedom Security Console

DVD/CDRW
Win DVD 2001 SE by InterVideo
HP RecordNow by VERITAS
Education and reference
HP Learning Adventure Try&Buy SW (NA English ONLY) by TLC
MS Encarta Encyclopedia Deluxe Online (URL)
Entertainment
Emusic Icon with URL
HP "Music Store" icon with URL by Rioport
MusicMatch Jukebox (with HP Themes) 6.1
Super Duper Music Looper by Sonic Foundry
User Choice Icon by UbiQ
Wildtangent 3D Web Driver w/ 3D games

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Complete software package
Operating system
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

not really :no:

I know 2 people personally whom have bought a new HP from wally world

neither came with a XP cd. the entire backup cd is on a hidden partition on the HD. should they ever fdisk or format they are screwed.

or if the HD fails their screwed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found out that you can access the hidden partition of HP's 751n by hitting f10 at start up, and that will get you to the recovery section. I did recover the machine got it running transferred data that I needed to across the other computers on my LAN.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes this computer is 5 months old, I did not buy it .....it was a replacement #4 from HP. I originally ruined my life by purchasing a hp computer 1 1/2 years ago and replacement #1, #2, and #3 alll of which were replaced due to hard drive failures. The replacements each time were refurbished machines. So I did make some serious phone calls and that is when HP replaced #4 with a brand new 751n, and guess what....more troubles....

Hind site is 20/20

S

·
0 Posts
slim_jim

I got that info above from HP's Website, And that is what is supposed to come with the system according to them.

I don't know nothin' about Wally World tho.

That's really kind of strange bargainfreak because a friend of mine is on his third hard drive in his HP also............:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

after I got my pc up and running and all data transferred, I chucked in a win ME start up disk and fdisked it. I put in windows ME, and now I find out I have to find drivers for all of my on board components....ahh the fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SPEEDO

Sick as it sounds, I am glad that you mentioned that you know some people that have bad HD's in the HP computers, at least I know I am not alone! I actually had the Fed Ex man that picked up one of my replacements ask what was wrong with the computer because he spents half his work week picking up HP computers and delivering replacements.......something is fishy if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
lawsuit...hehehhe...we just tossed an HP at my work...guess what..HD went down...went down hard...for 2 days it sounded like a jet engine..and it died... X(

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Out of curiosity, what Brand, Make, and Model are these hard disks?

Years ago, I know Compaq ... now HP ... had problems with "Bigfoot" drives - 5 1/2" platter pices of $h!+. I think the Bigfoots were Maxtor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.