Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bougth a brand new 120 GB HDD for primary and used my old secondary 80GB (all data) as a secondary. After I installed win XP Pro . In Admin tools/Computer management/Storage/Disk management my drives are still listed as being healthy/active but only 120GB as a drive C . The 80GB has no drive letter. can anyone please HELP me get my letter back.

·
Registered
266 Posts
make sure you set jumpers correctly.
Master/Slave etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dbrown said:
I just bougth a brand new 120 GB HDD for primary and used my old secondary 80GB (all data) as a secondary. After I installed win XP Pro . In Admin tools/Computer management/Storage/Disk management my drives are still listed as being healthy/active but only 120GB as a drive C . The 80GB has no drive letter. can anyone please HELP me get my letter back.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm assuming you also placed the drives in the correct position on the IDE cable (?)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
breakerfall said:
Also, since you mentioned that you reinstalled XP,
Make sure you didn't installed xp using FAT32 instead of NTFS.

If you did, and your 80GB data drive is NTFS, you won't be able to access it.
HUH? It doesn't matter if any of the drives are formatted NTFS or FAT32 in any combination, XP will handle them just fine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good catch johnwill,
my mistake on that.

how do I remove the post,
(I guess I can edit it?)

..don't shoot me.. :p

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't think you really should edit posts like that. It took me a second to realize where that post Johnwill quoted was.:D You can, however, make a later post that's like "woopsie!:D" so that nobody is confused over who said what when.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This same thing happened to me recently. I had the jumpers set correctly and the drives on the correct IDE connections. However, the additional drive was too much for my power supply to handle. As a result, the drive wouldn't be detected, and some other devices acted a bit screwy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.