1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5" 80GB SATA HD.
It had a problem (and may still have) where the system took 5 min to boot.\
Once booted it mostly worked fine.
I have done a clean install of Vista on it by deleting the partitions and creating new ones.
It now runs fine in the system. However, if I try to connect it via an adapter to a USB port on another computer, it just sits there chirping and is never seen.
Another 320GB drive sets up fine thru the same adapter and same port.
The chirping is probably due to constant retrys to sync itself with track 0. But why does it work in the system AND Seagate tools says it is fine?
AND how do I make it work externally?
thx
bill

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
Hi and welcome!

What are the system specifications on the system that the 2.5” 80GB SATA drive runs the OS off of?

What type of adapter are you using? Make and model?

What is the makes and models of the two drives?

By “Never Seen” do you mean that it is not detected at all by the system or does the “SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE” icon show up, but the drive is not shown in MY COMPUTER?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
If bt in the system, you mean when it is attached as an internal drive, but it isn't seen on the USB adapter, then likely it is insufficient current available to spin the disk on the USB port. If you are using an enclosure, then you can look for a 'Y' USB cable which has two USB plugs to attach tot he system, one carries data and power the other carries only power. There is only 500 mA of current available on a USB port on the 5VDC lines, so that may not be enough to spin up the drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is a drive that had a problem.
It is speced at 0.487A
I put in another drive rated at 0.550A and it works fine............

Well as soon as I realized the OTHER connector was to plug into another port, and I had another port next to this one, and I plugged it in - it worked just fine.

Thanks for the clues.

I guess it is still a problem drive because, obviously, it is requiring more power than it is speced for.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
As drives wear, the current requirments will go up, both are close to the .5A rating on USB ports, if you have any other USB devices they will pull power also. External drives are suited to be nothing more than portable, archival storage, not suited to be used as a regular drive under constant use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.