Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Windows 2000 machine that has two IDE channels on the motherboard. It currently has two hard drives (120 gig and 80 gig - both NTFS) on the first IDE channel and a single CD-Rom drive on the second IDE channel.

I am trying to add a third hard drive but it is not being detected by Windows 2000. The new drive I am trying to add is a 40 gig drive that has been recently formatted in NTFS and works just fine when tested by itself.

First I tried adding the new drive as a slave device to the CD-Rom
The jumper settings are correct for both the CD-rom and the new HD and the BIOS is set to Autodetect all drives. When booting, the new drive is detected by the BIOS but not available in computer management or in Windows Explorer (The other two drives and the CD-rom are available)

I reconfigured the jumpers to set the new drive as the primary device and the CD-rom as the slave device and the same thing..detected in BIOS but unavailable in computer management and Explorer (the other two drives and CD-rom are available)

I even removed the CD-rom altogether and set the new drive as a single device on the second channel and the same thing happens! (the other two drives available but not the new drive)

I have tried everything I can think of such as using CABLE SELECT jumper settings, using a different IDE Ribbon, Disabling autodetect and forcing BIOS to detect the drive. Every time the same **** thing happens...drive is seen by BIOS but unavailable in Windows. There is nothing physically wrong with the new drive because it works fine when tested alone.

WHY WOULD THE DRIVE SHOW UP IN BIOS BUT NOT BE AVAILABLE TO WINDOWS??????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rollin_Again

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.