Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of a huge problem, and if anyone can give me some advice on this I would be greatly appreciative.

Here was my setup:

Windows XP, SP2 - Everything up to date
Pentium 4 3.8 ghz
2 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 6800
Two External Harddrives plugged in via USB

The other night, I was working on a video project- the files that I had opened in my video editor (Sony Vegas 7) were on a removable hard drive (Hard Drive A from now on). Also plugged into the computer was Hard Drive B- it was not being used.

Hard Drive A is a Western Digital Mybook
Hard Drive B is a LaCie

While editing the other night, Hard Drive A was tipped over and the USB port was accidentally unplugged. This was not a violent impact- it was simply tipped over. This caused all sorts of errors
in the editor- even causing the save file to be unusable.

I restarted the computer to find that the save file was now A-OK. However, Hard Drive A could not be accessed. At first it showed up in MyComputer, but I could not explore it. I tried again. Plugging it in, Windows made the USB Connection Sound, but no icon appeared.

Windows device manager showed "WD" (Western Digital) was working properly- however, it could not give any further information such as disk capacity.

The unit does not make any strange sounds or exibit odd behavior- no clicks, no windows error messages.

During all of this, Hard Drive B was working fine, and I continued to work on it the rest of the night until late.

This afternoon at the office, I went to resume work only to find that Hard Drive B was experiencing the SAME problem... This time with a "Usb device has malfunctioned" error. At no point did Hard Drive B experience any sort of physical trauma. It simply stopped working.

Neither drives make any odd noises- they power up and spin as normal.

Plugging both drives into different computers yields no results- I've tried Macintosh and PC.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Hi.

Do the drives show up in Disk Management?
(Right click "My computer" > choose "Manage" > Disk Management.)

If so - please post a screenshot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have a "manage" option.

If you mean device manager, it displays my main hard drive and then a bunch of generic USB storage devices- all 0's for values. all enabled

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.