Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I believe I am going to have to replace my Hard Drive soon as it ocassionally hangs and makes a tick noise.

I have a MS-7008 (MSI PT880 NEO LSR) and was wondering if it is compatable with this Hard Drive. I know the motherboard specs says IDE and Serial ATA, and the hard drive says SATA, are these the same?

Here are the IDE Specs for the motherboard:
On-Board IDE - An IDE controller on the VIA VT8237 chipset provides IDE HDD/ CD-ROM with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA 133/100/66 operation modes.
- Can connect up to 4 Ultra ATA drives
Serial ATA/ 150 controller integrated in VT8237
- Up to 150MB/s transfer speed - Support RAID 0, RAID 1
- Can connect up to 2 Serial ATA drives

Here are the specs for the Hard Drive:
Model Brand - Western Digital Series Caviar RE
Model - WD1600YS
Interface - SATA 3.0Gb/s
Capacity - 160GB
RPM - 7200 RPM
Cache - 16MB
Average Seek Time - 8.7ms
Average Latency - 4.2ms
Physical Spec - Form Factor 3.5"

Is this a decent Hard Drive? Someone told me to get a 16mb cache. Not sure about the advantages of SATA. Do I need to do anything different to have a SATA Hard Drive than I do now with a IDE Drive?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Yep, yep, and nope. The motherboard specs say it supports Sata, so the drive is compatible. You may have to move a jumper on that drive to take it back to 1.5 instead of 3.0, but that is a piece of cake. Yes, that is a good drive. Nope, nothing different needed if your board supports Sata. (except different cable and connector)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. This raises another question...

Would it be better/easier to just buy a IDE Hard Drive over a SATA? Is there a noticeable difference between the two, seeing that it sounds like I would have to buy a couple cables and change settings.

I could always buy a IDE 133, 16mb Cache, 7200 RPM... but if I will notice a difference between the two I suppose I could go with the SATA.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

There will be some differences between a Sata and the IDE that you mentioned, howver don't expect great differences, because there is very little difference IMHO. Now, if you were purchasing a Raptor drive with a spin speed of 10,000 rpm, that is when you begin to see the difference. However, the cost of those doesn't justify the speed difference IMHO. They are nice but very expensive, so I just choose to add another regular Sata drive and use it that way.

Most of the newer drives come with the ribbon cable. Your power supply if it has the Sata connector, you would not need one, but if it does not, then you have to purchase an adapter to hook it to Sata since it is different. You might want to see if your power supply has one of those and if not you can plan accordingly.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

You are most welcome. If you get a chance, then read the Sata information under my signature area. One of my team members put this together to help people understand the Sata animal. Let us know if you have further questions/concerns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a problem with this motherboard and SATA. I've purchased 2 WD Caviar Black 750GB drives with the intention of using them in a RAID 1 array. Problem is the BIOS will not recognize the drives. I thought SATA was backward compatable, just a slower speed. What gives?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I have a problem with this motherboard and SATA. I've purchased 2 WD Caviar Black 750GB drives with the intention of using them in a RAID 1 array. Problem is the BIOS will not recognize the drives. I thought SATA was backward compatable, just a slower speed. What gives?

hello :wave:

please start your own thread (post topic) .......... its very difficult to answer the questions of two different people

please give full system specs like motherboard make and model

best regards

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.