Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few weeks ago my hard drive starting making a grinding noise when using Firefox browser. My OS is Windows 98 SE. I have avg anti virus program.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Does it only make a grinding noise when you're using Firefox?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Go to the hard drive manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic utility to see if the drive is faulty. If you use the advanced mode, it will try to fix any errors it finds. Usually when a hard drive starts to make a noise, it means it's dying, so backup any important data as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just saw this post. What ended up happening? I seem to have the same issue; however it's with a brand new hard drive so I'm not sure if it's the hard drive or Mozilla or what.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is something called an actuator arm inside the hard disk. when the hard disk is requested for data, the actuator arm's motor has inertia bearings inside that cause the sound. it is normal, and ignore what some business sites say. the thinnr the hard disk, the less noise it will make.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Grinding is anything but normal in an actuator. The bearings in an actuator are sealed fluid bearings, not sure what an 'inertia bearing is' and actuators haven't had motors since Connor gave us the voice coil actuator in the late '80s. Of course this is kind of a necro's thread LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
get lost pal, its either the hard disk or the read head repeatedly moving to and fro on the platter when operating. i've opened up hundreds of perfectly working hard disks to find this and its only a few manufacturer brands that do this. and its nothing to worry about. too many clicks is worring though.

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,502 Posts
Listen,

I don't think that you need to go about talking bs and telling other users to get lost. I don't know if that was directed towards a staff member or towards a user. Either way please watch what you are saying and remember that not everyone has the same experiences that other have and that is why they come to TSF.

Bottom line is if you don't have something helpful to add them please don't post.

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.