1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:kitty: My hard drive started sounding like there was a ping pong
ball bouncing on a spring. Then it restarted iteself and now it
trys to start Windows and then a blank screen comes up with
operating system not found in the corner. I take it this means that my hard drive decided to fail? I am using a HP Pavilion 6553 with Win 98 SE, Celeron 466 processor, 13 gb 5400 rpm HD.
If I have to replace the hard drive can I use the system restore software that came with my computer? Does anyone have a definitive site that explains how to install and setup a new hard drive and if I have to format this new hard drive, etc.?
After Iit was off warranty I replaced the CD drive with a HP CD-writer that has run fine and a 100 mb Zip Drive and it has run fine for 1 1/2 years so do not think that any of these may be the causes of the failure. But with these additions will my original system restore software work? Can I replace the original hard drive if needed with a 40 gb 7200 rpm? Thanks for all your help in advance.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome sherrib................:D

I would try and get a hold of a 30 gig. hard drive if I were you, There is a possibility that your motherboard may not recognize a 40 gig. Comp-USA is still selling them if there is one near you.

As far as using your restore CD it may just work if you disconnect the Zip drive before starting the install...............:D

I'll see if I can find out what the max size hard drive your board will take.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I would appreciate any help you can come up with.
I don't know of any stores called Comp-USA. But I have other
places that I will try to look. Thanks again and I will await your
reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.