Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a Ibm Thinkpad T43 laptop , because my r51 ibm thinkpad laptop monitor has scrambled and sothe visual output of the laptop monitor is unrecognizable.However ,I don't believe anything is wrong with my r51 ibm 320 gb harddrive though. Will I be able to insert my r51 sata harddrive into the harddrive slot of a ibm thinkpad T43 laptop?

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi Pentazoid,

If the older IBM Thinkpad T43 is using IDE interface and the newer Thinkpad R51 is using SATA, then it won't definitely be compatible since both laptop hard-drives using different HD interface. If both laptops use the same HD interface then you can install the 320GB on the T43 and see if the laptop supports 320GB hard-drives. I just looked at the specs of the IBM Thinkpad T43 and it only supports up to 100GB HDs unless there is a new BIOS revision for the T43 that will enable it to support 320GB HDs.

Also, assuming you install the 320GB on the T43, the computer might not boot right because the hardware drivers installed on the R51 is different from the T43. You might definitely need to perform a windows repair on the computer. Hope this will help you out, good luck!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Pentazoid,

If the older IBM Thinkpad T43 is using IDE interface and the newer Thinkpad R51 is using SATA, then it won't definitely be compatible since both laptop hard-drives using different HD interface. If both laptops use the same HD interface then you can install the 320GB on the T43 and see if the laptop supports 320GB hard-drives. I just looked at the specs of the IBM Thinkpad T43 and it only supports up to 100GB HDs unless there is a new BIOS revision for the T43 that will enable it to support 320GB HDs.

Also, assuming you install the 320GB on the T43, the computer might not boot right because the hardware drivers installed on the R51 is different from the T43. You might definitely need to perform a windows repair on the computer. Hope this will help you out, good luck!!!
I actually don't know if my 320GB WD3200BEVE WD Scorpio Blue harddrive is a PATA or SATA harddrive. I googled '320GB WD3200BEVE WD Scorpio Blue harddrive' and some technical sources say that it can be a PATA or SATA drive. There is no explicit label on my particular harddrive that says its a SATA or PATA like the rest of them. I inserted my OLD hard drive into the T43 IBM harddrive and I get a message saying that 'tge Hard drive disk you have installed has not be qualified for use in this computer or does not have the latest firmware. '. Is there anyway to eradicate this problem that does not require me to purchase a new laptop ?

Do you know of any laptops that are compatible with my 320GB WD3200BEVE WD Scorpio Blue harddrive ? I possible could not removed my motherboard from my r51 laptop harddrive and insert it into my t43 ibm thinkpad laptop harddrive?

My new T43 laptop contains a 60 GB harddrive , and I want to attempt to used a 320 GB possibly SATA harddrive on my T43 ibm thinkpad laptop. Would purchasing a USB to IDE converter(http://sabrent.com/v2/usb-2-0-to-id...rter-with-power-supply-led-activity-lights-2/) so the 320 gb of data on my harddrive will become compatible with my newly purchased T43 laptop?

I don't mean to be pushy but I have a 7 day -limit on when I can refund the laptop on my newly purchased laptop (yeah I know it isn't your problem but still) and I desire a prompt response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.