Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everybody, I have a NEW problem this time.

I see a lot of people saying their hard drives make a "chirping sound" and thats about the best way I can describe the sound mine makes. Its the same little chirping sound it makes when I shut off my computer (which is how its always been and I assume is totally normal).

However, I really don't believe it's any type of issue I can solve by changing any settings. You see, I was playing a game of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, and my cursor turned yellow (I have no idea) and the game froze for like 3 seconds. Then it returned to normal for like 5 seconds, then permanately froze until reboot. Upon rebooting, I got an error, "SYSTEM REBOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT DISK AND PRESS ENTER." Well I restarted the computer and it worked fine for the rest of the night.

The next day I turn on the computer and it gives me this error again. I pull the battery from my motherboard resetting the BIOS, and decide to lay my computer on its side to see if it solves any physical problems with the spinning things in the hard drive. It works, it boots, and I'm online again.

However, it still makes this chirping sound which momentarily freezes my computer.

I've pretty much decided to get a new hard drive and start from scratch, reinstalling XP and all my programs, etc. However, I'm not very familiar with the HDD market, and I'm not sure what is compatible with my motherboard or even if it WORKS like that. Any advice on possible solutions to my current HDD, or advice on compatibility would be awesome.

(motherboard: KM400 8237 (says it directly on the motherboard) http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7viz)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Try this, in your BIOS Setup, see if you have an option (somewhere) to enable S.M.A.R.T. for hard drives.

Not all hard drives have this feature, but if yours does, see if you get an error msg during POST.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I found the S.M.A.R.T. option and enabled it (it was disabled).

It seems to be running ok, although during the boot up it still chirped once and since I've been on it just now (maybe 15 minutes) it's chirped once also. And this is the same little chirping sound I get when my computer shuts off.

I didn't get an error message at all during the boot up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I did the disk check feature for both my drives and I did ran the disk defragmenter for both my drives (C: and D:), and there were lots of red areas, and it cleared those up. . Upon doing so, I restarted my computer..and started another game of Warcraft 3. Through the whole restart, playing the game, eating dinner, coming back, playing another game, and coming back here, I have heard no chirps or abnormal sounds, and there have been no freezes (even in the Warcraft 3 areas that push the limits of my average video card).

However, my hard drive still fails the DST test for SeaTools. I used SeaTools for Windows to test it, and it said SeaTools for DOS can do repairs, but the website is funky and I have no idea how to go about downloading SeaTools for DOS.

Anyone have some advice on the matter?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after all the disk defragmentation/disk checking using windows, it seems to be stable with no freezes/noises, but I still fail EVERY SeaTools for Windows test on there except the S.M.A.R.T. test, lol.

If anyone has any type of explanation or experience about this it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I'm really confused as to how to go about burning the iso. I downloaded it and it gave me a WinRAR folder, so I extracted it and it gave me a folder with no .iso files in it. I'm confused x.X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.