·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had to re-format my grandsons 150gig HD. Use XP home
(XPH) disk that came with his comp. After formating I loaded
the XPH and re-booted and let XPH do it's thing. After all was
said and done I checked the drive through explorer and discovered
that the 150gig HD was now a 4.50gig HD.

Could someone PLEASE tell me WHAT the heck happened to reduce the
drive DOWN to a 4.50 form a 150gig.

Also - and this is what made me check his drive on my system as a
slave -after re-booting from the re-formating the keyboard and mouse stopped working during the boot-up.

WHAT HAPPENED and WHY did the keyboard/mouse stop working,
I'm sure the drivers did not load or some such and is there a FIX
for all the above.

Thanks

Thomsa Price

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check how you put the keyboard and mouse back in, AKA the connections, also try the bios. may have disabled them? Try a USB keyboard if you were using PS/2

As for the HDD, youve probably formatted it into a format Windows wont recognise as a usable storage HDD (NTFS or FAT32)

So go into Administrative tools, component manager, then disk manager and check out the seperate partition. - This is all in classic view control panel.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you, thank you very very much. The disk management worked...I set his HD as a slave in my system and set the proper partition as active and it worked got the 150gig back however the issue of the KB/Mouse still exists.

After returning the HD to his system and re-booting the system needed to complete it's setup and part way through this the KB - USB type -
blinked once then stopped being available for use. If memory serves -
from my days in the military setting up Cray Comps as a designer/builder
with limited programing knowledge - this is indicative of there being "NO DRIVER" being recognized or having been installed so how do I get past
this...

AND - Two parts - (trying to cover as many bases as possible without taking up much of peoples time)

Can I install or re-install - after re-formating his HD - his XPH from my
comp with his re-formated HD as a slave on my system.

I was also wondering...If I re-install his XPH will it split the HD again into two partitions as before and if so will the XPH files be active on the larger
of the two as I can then set it as primary or will they show up when I make the larger the primary.

Because what I think is happening is the XPH during AUTO set-up and install is splitting the HD into the two PAR and installing the file(s) in the smaller of the two and with not enough space files are not being written.

Thanks...Thomas Price

·
Registered
62 Posts
Test with a older PS/2 Keyboard, there drivers are generic and will always work unless its a hardware fault.

As too your hard drive yes you can install it as a slave, but not complete the install as it binds to serial numbers and hardware ID's on your PC,

and no not if you tell XPH to use the whole drive..

Regards

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
On putting his 150GB drive into your computer and installing XP on it: it won't work because 1. the hardware is likely different - once you plug it back into his computer, you'll likely get a BSOD (blue screen of death) 2. even if all the hardware were identical, each piece of hardware has serial numbers and so on - and Windows (as an anti-piracy measure) will detect changes in those, and kill activation.

I must ask one thing: does the XP CD have Service Pack 1 or higher integrated in it? (It will say it on the CD) You need that to recognize hard drives over 128GB (otherwise that's all it will recognize at setup time). If you don't have it, slipstream it (very simple process - use your XP CD, a blank CD-R, a burner, SP3 - http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_slipstream.asp ) Start, run, diskmgmt.msc will show you how much of the 150GB drive is detected.

For keyboard and mouse you shouldn't need drivers. But after setup, it's a good idea to get the latest drivers for various devices (graphics card, sound card, network, etc.) as many of the ones bundled with Windows are generic and not optimized. Click start, run, devmgmt.msc to see devices missing drivers. Also, the PC maker's site (if it's a big name brand) will usually have drivers for download by PC model.

Last but not least, remember to update your Windows (update.microsoft.com), and get latest components (Internet Explorer 8, WMP11, etc).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all...got XPH to install..you know blue screen setup loading files etc with mouse and KB working - tried with both PS2/ AND USB -however when the setup changes to the blue setup screen where a choice to

Press enter to continue setup
press R to repair or
F3 to exit

is needed this -just prior to this - is where the mouse and KB stop functioning. until that point KB/Mouse USB - PS/2 function OK so that tells
me that something becomes inactive at that point

There's got to be a way to FORCE FEED this bugger it's not like it's the first
HD I've ever re-installed an OS system on...it's just that I've never encountered this problem before.

Thanks ...Thomas Price

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Have you tried plugging in the keyboard and mouse from your own computer into your son's computer? Try varying USB port and see if it makes a difference.
In the BIOS, see if there's a setting like "USB legacy". I have no idea what it does, but I've seen it mentioned in other posts about causing problems with keyboard and mice. I don't even know which settings are available. Just toggle and find out if anything works via trial and error.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all...got XPH to install..you know blue screen setup loading files etc with mouse and KB working - tried with both PS2/ AND USB -however when the setup changes to the blue setup screen where a choice to

press R to repair or
F3 to exit

is needed this -just prior to this - is where the mouse and KB stop functioning. until that point KB/Mouse USB - PS/2 function OK so that tells
me that something becomes inactive at that point

There's got to be a way to FORCE FEED this bugger it's not like it's the first
HD I've ever re-installed an OS system on...it's just that I've never encountered this problem before.

Thanks ...Thomas Price

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all...

Yes can enter BIOS... All USB/PS2 ports verified...

AGAIN let me explaine...

I got XPH to partially start it's install process.. The blue screen setup
where windows shows loading files etc... with mouse and KB working -
tried with both PS2/ AND USB all work OK - however when the setup
screen changes to the blue FINAL setup screen where there is a choice
to either........

press R to repair or
F3 to exit

it's at this point is where the mouse and KB stop functioning. Up
until this point both KB/Mouse USB - PS/2 type function OK.
The lights on the KB blink once then stop... I tested both KB
and mouse on MY system and the work fine.. so that tells me
that something becomes inactive at that point.

Thanks...Thomas Price

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.