Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will first start with specs of computer.
Custom build
-windows 7 home prim
-x58 mother board
-i-7 980 CPU
-660ti nvid GPU
-16gig ram
-750 PSU
-corsair hydro cooling system
-key board logitech G15
-mouse G9X logitech

Now the issue I am having, my computer blue screened and my hard drive just said f*** it and gave out on me, I have 2 other hard drives one with another windows 7 on it that I know 100% is working and another with windows vista on it that I have about a 30% change it is still working.
So I figured I would do my normal cleaning maintenance on my rig, so unplugged everything removed the fans and my GPU and cleaned them all then removed the hard drive and put in the 2nd hard drive the one with vista on it.
Plugged everything in and when the computer screen comes on it said "CMOS has changed, check Cmos setting save and restart" I looked up and most people said it is a common problem with the coin batterie so I replaced it and changed CMOS settings to default and no more issues with that, now when my computer attempts to start into windows I get to a screen asking me to choose between "start windows normally or launch start up repair" when choosing either one the computer just restarts and go's back to the same selection.
So I have a new HP I have only used twice other than that i use it as a foot stool under my desk, so I started up the computer to test to see how long it took to boot 4-5 seconds to load windows from point in time power button was pressed, I disconnected the hard drive and tested the two hard drives I am having issues with on it and get errors on both of them. Original hard drive that blue screen and crashed says "boot files missing"
The xp hard drive loads to a windows error recovery screen asking to start windows normally or start recovery, neither work.

So now I plugged the HP hard drive back in and tested again boots just fine 4-5 seconds no issues, I removed it from the HP computer and placed it in the custom build computer and attempted to boot. No luck it loads to windows error recovery screen, but at least this hard drive will let me actually run the startup repair, once repair is finished says it was successfully repaired and computer reboots gets to the windows LOGO and loading bar once it finished loading the computer reboots and takes you to the windows error recovery screen again.

The mother board is not reporting any errors no beeps nothing just silent. I have had the computer for 5-6 years now and give it some heavy use I have replaced my HD twice in that time period but never had a issue like this.

Please help me......

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team |Tech
2,256 Posts
First, the drives from your "Custom Build" will not work in the HP, different hardware.

Second, on the "Custom Build" how did you boot to the other Win7, and Vista OS? from the failed hard drive boot menu? or did each OS have a separate MBR, meaning you went into the BIOS, and selected which drive you want to boot from.

This link explains how to rebuild your MBR / BCD from Windows RE (Recovery Environment).
Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,361 Posts
:wavey: Hi

-x58 mother board
-16gig ram
-750 PSU
We could do with a little more specific details on the above quoted specs (make, model # (and capacity where applicable) of mobo, PSU, each memory modules/stick and HDDs). Kindly indicate the ages of each of the HDDs you've mentioned in your post as well.

I have 2 other hard drives one with another windows 7 on it that I know 100% is working and another with windows vista on it that I have about a 30% change it is still working.
Were these two spare HDDs used (OS installed) on the same custom built rig? If not then Windows installed on the two drives won't boot without a repair install. That's because the hardware profile has changed and the OS has to be re-setup to work with the new hardware profile. The Windows logo may show up and Windows may attempt to load, but it will fail.

I disconnected the hard drive and tested the two hard drives I am having issues with on it and get errors on both of them. Original hard drive that blue screen and crashed says "boot files missing"
The xp hard drive loads to a windows error recovery screen asking to start windows normally or start recovery, neither work.
The same reason above applies for the two spare HDDs when hooked to the HP pc as well. The OS housed in them will not boot even if the drives are 100% healthy. It is the same reason why the flawlessly booting HP drive refuses to boot when hooked to the custom rig.

To fix the issue of missing boot files on the HDD you need a Windows boot disc (either an installation disc or a Windows rescue/repair disc).

You will require installation media (one for Vista another for Seven) to repair/reinstall the OS on the two spare drives for them to boot in the custom rig.

Lastly, you will require a utility bootable disc such as UBCD for running diagnostic tests on all the HDDs you are working with to ascertain their health because for all we know, one or all of them could be failing (except for the one in the HP "stool" if the usage history you gave is accurate).

Remember to provide the earlier requested details on the said parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried each hard dive separately, I have every windows CD ever made from 95-8 in 64 and 32 so not concerned about that, I would be more than happy to just RE-partition the vista and HP hard drive and install new version of windows on it and call it a day but cant get into the options to repartition the hard drive.
this link is to a updated version of my mother board looks like they just changed the way the heat sink looks almost
EVGA - EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard

·
Registered
40,746 Posts
When Windows is installed on a computer, it loads drivers specific to that motherboard, chipset etc. If you remove that HDD and place it in a different computer/motherboard, when you try to boot, Windows will look for the previous hardware, and not find it, and you will get a BSOD. You can repair the Boot file but it's better to do a clean install.
Whenever you change hardware around in a computer, (eg) add HDD, RAM, Video card etc, you must set the Bios to defaults because the CMOS has changed.
If you do not care about data, then put whatever HDD you want to use in, and boot off of the Windows Disc, and choose to Format the HDD and then do a clean Install Windows.
If you want to recover files, attach the HDD to a working desktop as a slave and copy over the files to the good working HDD.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,361 Posts
I have every windows CD ever made from 95-8 in 64 and 32 so not concerned about that, I would be more than happy to just RE-partition the vista and HP hard drive and install new version of windows on it and call it a day but cant get into the options to repartition the hard drive.
How do you mean you cannot get into the options to repartition the drives? All you need to do is boot from a Windows disc of your choice (Seven or 8) and perform the partitioning as desired and then install Windows.

As for the first problematic drive (from custom build), you should run diagnostics on it to ascertain it's health. If it passes the tests, you can perform a clean installation of Windows on it. The average HDD life expectancy is 3 years, and personally I have observed that smaller drives (2.5" laptop drives) tend to be outlived by their desktop counterparts, so 4 to 6 years of life is not unusual for desktop HDDs. I know of drives older than that and still kicking like a mule, in fact, I'm surprised you've had to replace HDDs twice (unless it was just upgrade replacements and not failures).

To perform HDD diagnostics, download SeaTools for DOS (not for Windows) from the link in my signature or in spunk.funk's signature and create a boot CD/USB then boot off of it. Run both Basic and Advanced tests on the problematic drive and any other drive whose health you'd like to check.

Alternatively, you can download SeaTools for Windows and install it on the functional HP pc, hook up the drives to be tested as "slaves" and run the tests on them. Just make sure the BIOS boot order sets the HP's HDD (few months old) as the top priority HDD to prevent the pc from trying to boot off the problematic slave disks.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yeah; what Stan & Spunk said goes for me too. You will most likely NOT repair your problem using those old drives by simply repartitioning them; you will have to FORMAT the drive you wish to repair (after backup up any personal data from them you wish to retain). Since, you've built your own rig, I'm sure you are aware of this, but FORMATTING YOUR HARD DRIVE PERMANENTLY ERASES ANY DATA ON THAT DRIVE!!).

However you got the idea that repartitioning will fix your particular problem, forget it! Not correct. You have 4 drives to test with drive diagnostics (SeaTools as mentioned). If NONE of those 4 drives pass without error, most likely you'll never get Windows to properly work even from reinstall media. As I like to say, no software on the planet will correct hardware failure! At this point, you'd be best off purchasing a brand new unused hard drive (under $60 on eBay), and installing from legit Windows reinstallation media you state you have. This should fix your boot problem. If it does, then all 4 of your hard drives should get tossed. Your Mobo, RAM, CPU/GPU, PSU and rest of your in the case guts are all good and you just had hard drive issues; which by the way are the #1 cause of all computer problems after 5 yrs. of age (3 yrs. in laptops) as Stan mentions.

Best of luck,
BIGBEARJEDI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.