Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just bought my self a Western Digital 160GB hard, i have everything set like it says on the manual, but when i start the computer up it is not being detected, i run the cd that came with it but nothing happens. i updated my BIOS like they say and still nothing. When i open the BIOS in the start up, the Hard Drive is being detected by the BIOS.

But when i start windows up and go to my computer all i see the is the old HD and the same amount of GB.
I go into the Disk Management but the new HD dosent show up in their either. can any one plz help me.

System Specs\
Window XP pro
KAV MotherBoard
AMD Athlon 64 2800
512MB RAM
40GB HARD Drive

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
"everything set like it says on the manual" doesn't convey much information.

How about specifically telling us how you connected it. If there is another device on the cable with it, tell us how BOTH devices are jumpered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, the main, cable that connects the HDs togerther are, the Black connector is with the old HD, the middle connecter which is the gray one is connected to the new HD whick is the slave, and the othe connector to the MotherBoard.

The jumpers are set like this, on the slave (new HD) 2and3, on the Master(old HD) 4and5. and then the power are connected to the HDs.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Have you tried setting both the master and the slave to CS (Cable Select)? Also, I've seen cases where an older drive would not run properly as a master with a larger and newer drive as the slave, try swapping them around. If you format the new drive with an extended partition only, the smaller drive will still boot, even as the slave, since it'll be the first primary boot partition found.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.