Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10.53am xmas day.

I got a 40gb external drive with OTG support and someone had formatted it in fat32. I used command prompt to convert it into ntfs but then had problems with the 'case' reading the drive. So i went and deleted the partition to format back into fat32 but an error came up half way through saying the drive was too big. Obviously i didnt create various partitions.

Then i think i deleted the partition again, but now im fooked.

On my computer the drive is called 'local disk' where as before it was simply named hard drive, i cannot format, nothing happens, and on properties the drive is in 'RAW' format.

I have tried a couple of 3rd party recovery programs and they find the lost files but i dont care about them. But when i search for the lost drive, errors come up.

I'm so annoyed with myself.....

Please god someone help me! :mad:

I fear my brand new 40gb is now USELESS.

To sum up, i cannot format, and the drive is in RAW format.

http://www.supermediastore.com/apacer-share-steno-cd211-with-40g-hard-drive-other-shipping.html THIS IS MY DRIVE

Please please please please help

Just used 'drive rescue' program and when reading the drives i get the message NT_read error the error number 2 drv:129.. LBA:0 Blocks 1

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
from the experts exchange
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_21710537.html
Accepted Answer from GuruGary
Date: 01/25/2006 08:32PM PST
Grade: A Accepted Answer

Do you know if the drive was originally running FAT32 or NTFS? The Maxtor (and most other brands) typically come out-of-the-box running FAT32 for compatibility with other operating systems. We have seen very similar scenarios come into our lab many times recently. Scenario is typically: external USB drive ... has been working fine, something was installed on the PC, now the external drive shows no file system (or RAW).

The first thing I would do to reduce the chance of further data corruption or your files being overwritten is put the drive in a read-only mode. Assuming you are running Windows XP SP2, there is a registry key that can write-protect USB storage devices: create a "DWord" registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
CurrentControlSet\Control \StorageDevicePolicies called "WriteProtect" and set the value to 1 (then set it back to 0 when you want to be able to write to USB drives).

I don't know of any free tools to quickly and easily recover your files, but we have used "GetDataBack" in these scenarios with great success. You can download a free Demo version from www.runtime.org at http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm which will let you see if it will get your data back. If it works you will have to shell out about $70 US to get the full version as I think the free version won't let you actually save the files back to a drive.

Sorry I don't know of any free tools, but this is one of the tools we use in our lab and it works great in cases similar to yours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for your reply.

It was originally fat32

I CAN recover files and the drive is STILL found in some form on recovery programs. but TBH i dont care about saving these files.

I want to save the drive! I am using Active File Recovery and in its status scanning it has a mix of 'poor' 'bad' 'not bad' comments about the partition.

So parts of the partition are ok, but the damn drive is.. ohhh bugger it

:(

Right.... when i was converting back from ntfs to fat32 it stopped half way through, so this is probably the main problem. On the recovery programs they recognise it as NTFS.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
i am not familiar with these drives if it was a normal drive i would suggest clearing the drive with killdisk and the formatting
but it may have propriatary software on the front of it which would be wiped as well
you may be better waiting for a reply from someone that knows the drive and being xmas you may have to wait awhile

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ok thanks.

One final thing, in computer management, disk management,

Disk 2 is there and with the correct file size, but there are no allocations on it.

I went to create a partition but it will only allow NTFS format...

this may be the key? ^^^

I have gone about formatting it, but it comes up with 'local disk' and NO information on my computer.

So a reformat seems to have done nothing...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Right. it has reformatted in NTFS and appears in my computer perfectly.

It is in NTFS format but i need to convert it into FAT and create some partitions.

How do i do this. As this is what went wrong in the first place

Cheers

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

Partition Magic will convert it from NTFS <> FAT32

Acronis Disk Director will also do this.

Freebie wise
Look at Partition Logic and Ranish,
I've not used either of these as I have PM8.
They may also do this.

Backup any critical data first.

hth

Ceri

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, thanks

I downloaded partition magic and saved the iso image to a disk but how do i run the program?

Also i deleted the partition on my drive, it is now seen as unallocated on the computer management window, but when i right click and go on new partition i can only select NTFS

thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right problem pretty much solved

I have 2 partitioned areas in fat32 so im ok for the moment.

Any further help on somehow merging these two would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

Paerition Magic will merge adjacent partitions on a hard drive.

Backup first.

Have you made the Partition Magic rescue disks

Acronis Disk Director will also allow you to merge adjacent partitions.

hth

Ceri

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
If you dont care about the data wipe & erase the drive with killdisk or Darik's Boot n Nuke then format the drive with a fresh start

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.