Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in ages I decided to update my iPod, I started moving files from an external Maxtor 250GB harddrive and the iPod usb cable got pulled out prematurely. Im told there was some sort of desktop.ini message when this happened and when I next tried to access my external hard drive I was informed that it is inaccessable and the file/directory is corrupt or unreadable. I quickly ran chkdsk because the contents of this drive are very valuable to me, but chkdsk only informed me that my drive was formatted as NTFS but was unable to determine the volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

I'm in somewhat of a panick that I may not be able to recover my entire harddrive or at least some of its contents. I'm not really sure if the premature iPod updating caused some sort of delayed write failure or something like that, but maybe someone can help me fix this??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
One of the things they say while doing such things is to never unplug anything until finished because of possible problems, but best place to start is to download and run PowerMax from >>>Here<<< and see what it reports, then reply with those results and see if anyone has suggestions as to what to try, but don't do anything to the drive until you have run the test and seen what others suggest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I go ahead and do this, is there a version of powermax that I dont have to boot into? My external drive wont show up when I boot into powermax, correct?

What about this program SpinRite I've been hearing about?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
remove it from the enclosure and install it as a slave drive in a desktop. you should be able to run chkdsk as well as the powermax utility on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
remove it from the enclosure and install it as a slave drive in a desktop. you should be able to run chkdsk as well as the powermax utility on it.
With what I have here, thats not really an option. Are there any other straight forward ways of approaching this?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
From the link I gave above it should have placed an icon on the desktop, it says to run the diagnostics inside of that, the link shows what to do if it is the same model drive, does that help ? and what is the exact model number ?
Someone may have experience with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im sorry I'm not following. The link you gave above was instructions on how to use the program, but didnt actually supply a link to the program. I'm using Maxtor OneTouch II, apparently I should have got a copy of Dantz Retrospect 6.0 with my HDD. I think I might have a go at taking apart and directly connecting the hard drive to my computer, im just a little apprehensive about doing it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
On the above link, in the upper left corner of the screen, just to the left of the words:

Knowledge Base
Support

is a menu, click on "software downloads", then onetouch family on the next page or,

click this link: one touch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've downloaded the software but it doesnt seem to want to work nor does there appear to be any diagnostic features in Retrospect Express HD.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well first thing, is the drive still covered by warranty ?
If it is do NOT take it apart or you will void the warranty.

Now thats said lets move on, yes you were sposed to get the software with the drive from what I could see as well, I assumed you already had it but were unaware of it's ability's hence the guide, it even gives a flash movie about it lol, anyway if your having problems I'd have to ask if you closed EVERYTHING else by the clock on the task bar down before installing it ? and was the drive unplugged before installing as well ?
If you hadn't try doing it that way to start, just remember to come offline before you do unless you have a hardware firewall as you will have no protection until after you reboot, if you still have no luck trying that and the drive is covered under warranty I would contact them with your problems, they may accept it as faulty as is if your lucky, if there is no warranty covering it then yes take it apart and add it as a slave to test it, hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right - the Hard Drive is out of warrenty, and my computer is protected by a hardware firewall.

I took apart the casing and plugged it in directly. First thing I tried was to boot up and see if it was recognised - and yes it was, but it was still telling me it was corrupt when I went to browse through it. So I rebooted into PowerMax and run the tests and to my surpise it passed all of the installation scan, basic and full scans telling me my drive was 100% error free. However this is still not the case, I still cant run chkdsk on it and when I try to access it, it is still corrupted and unreadable.

Where do I go from here? :S

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
partition table doctor will cure your woes! its very helpful to know the drive is mechanically healthy though! thanks for that effort!

partition table doctor has a free scanning feature, you download and run the scanner, if the program can see and diagnose your problem; then you purchase a license key which changes the program into the full featured version and will let you fix the "bent" partitions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just ran Partition Table Doctor about an hour ago and it tells me it is unable to fix my problem. I dont think there was any other information given at the end of the scan. :S

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
hmmmmm

try a scan with "getdatadack"

http://www.runtime.org/

same premise; download the trial version then see if the program can "see" your data if sucessful pay for the serial key code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it seems GetDataBack was able to recover roughly half of my data - a lot of it looked fragmented and blown into hundreds of folders - so I can probably retrieve the majority of the remaining data from another source.

Thanks for the efforts everyone who helped out, they are very much appreciated, thank you :heartlove

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.