Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything was working fine last night and when I came on and booted up my computer my "D" drive (2nd HH that I don't use often) was missing. I have Windows XP Home edition on my laptop computer.

Not sure if its just the Icon or if its more. How do I get the Icon back or is it just gone? I don't know how to access the Hard Drive without the icon and not sure how it just disappeared.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is the D drive another seperate drive or is your hard drive partitioned? I would also right click on my computer>manage>disk management and see if it's there, maybe the CD-ROM drive is trying to use the same drive letter as your hard drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a seperate drive.

I did what you said and see 2 things listed

The "C" drive which is my main hard drive and the "E" Removable drive which is probably my zip.

Could the "d" drive be not secure? I know sometimes my DVD drive works itself out a little bit and I need to push it back in. If not any other suggestions?

Thanks taking the time to try and help me.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I had a problem with disappearing drives. Try this temporary fix: unplug the pc from the rear, and leave it unplugged for about an hour. Plug it back up and reboot. See if the drive appears. Turns out the case was getting to hot inside. I took the side off and placed a small fan beside it blowing on the drives. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would open the case up and make sure everything is plugged in correctly and like bruiser said it could be a heat issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have my laptop on a cooling pad and that has 2 fans on it. I'll unplug the computer, flip it and make sure everything is secure and i'll get back to you.

I'm a novice at this, so I appreciate the help. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.