Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a cloning program called Macrium Reflect and it works great. Here's my concern. My 2 hard drives I'm using are Hitachi 1TB's I've purchased another hard drive identical but 500 Gb as I'm only using about 300 Gb on my main hard drives. I've had now two of the 500's and both do the same thing. When cloning they take 3 o4 times longer to finish compared to my 1TB hard drives. The best i can tell is both are identical in all ways except the data size. Anyone run into this and have any answers?

·
Banned
2 Posts
if you are trying to clone the 1tb (even tho you have only 300gb used) on to a 500gb it will always take longer couse it has to compress the partition

·
Registered
504 Posts
I thought that the cloning never works, from a Bigger to a smaller size of drive. Does it with some programs? If so, can you also clone the existing primary drive as source, which is also operating the computer, now ?

·
Registered
504 Posts
yeah it does there are some paid and free software out there
I bought anew WIN 10 computer which has 2 TB HDD and I have few 1 TB HDD in spare, I wonder how could I clone copy from bigger to smaller ?

Can it be done by image saving and then unwinding the image there? how far accurate? My docking station clone piece asks strictly for same or higher size in target drive,,..

·
Registered
504 Posts
^^ did you mean Target and Source drive, in addition to the Primary OS hard drive in that computer ?

My PC can take 2 more HDDs internally, in addition to the Primary OS drive there,... so, in that case,... using all 3 HDDS the cloning would be rather more better and perfect ? ( as OS drive is free from acting as a source, but only for running the program ? )

I called Seagate and WDC... and they all have diff. answers ( what and how it can do and practically they all remain confused about cloning v/s back up v/s image/ISO way of cloning,.. etc ) about their free software there from Acronis, and they acts like,.. call them to find out exactly....

I need to call Acronis , but they are too restricted,
if,... anyone calls them ( unless you are registered with them and a product bought from them ) they do not have any publicly open toll free numbers or any local numbers
and Google can't find their reliable, working phone number, anywhere !

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
The greatest expense for a company is Tech Support. Because of this, they only offer it for paid versions of their software not the free versions. Thankfully we are here to help.
There are at least 3 ways to go here. There are Backups, you would use a software like Acronis, Macrium or Windows and it would do a Full backup of your system (Source) to another HDD or partition (Target) and as files changed, it would do Incremental backups on a schedule. This occurs while you are booted into Windows, it backs up your C: (source) drive to another (Target) drive. To restore, you have to have Windows installed, and then the software, then start the software and choose to restore your backup to the computer.
The second option is an Image file. This is an exact Clone of the C: (Source) drive, but it is saved as a compressed Image file to another (target) drive. With an Image file you can make as many Images as you have space for over time. If there was a failure, you either would have Windows installed and the program and start that and choose to Restore the Image from the Target to the Source drive.
You should also create a bootable Media, either CD/DVD or USB Flash in the software. You would boot off of this boot disk and then create your Image file of the Source drive and save it to your Target drive. If the HDD with C: on it fails, replace the drive, boot off of the boot disk to start the software and choose to Restore your image file to the new Target drive.
Lastly there is s Disk to Disk Clone. Again, you would boot off of your Boot disk, and choose the HDD with C: on it as the Source drive, and then browse it to the Target HDD to Clone to. It's best if the drives are internal as the Free versions of Clone software do not support cloning to a USB Drive only the Paid versions do. If the Target drive is smaller in capacity then the clone software will take longer as it has to compress the files to make it fit. If there is a failure of the drive with C: on it, you just replace the failed drive with the Cloned drive and you are back in business, with the same files etc as the day you cloned it. This is the fastest way to restore. It will bring you back to the day you cloned the machine, however, you may have many new files that won't be there since the clone job completed
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The greatest expense for a company is Tech Support. Because of this, they only offer it................................................This is the fastest way to restore. It will bring you back to the day you cloned the machine, however, you may have many new files that won't be there since the clone job completed
I hope that helps.
Thank you for the very clear presentation, and a gentleman here also had given his best effort,........ to fill my doubts and misunderstanding,...
https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/general-and-basic-set-up-ques-and-or-accessories-and-programs-for-win10-new-cpu-1230134-2.html ( posts 27 and 28 )

I guess,… I will have to experiment and then seeing will only the believing about what it actually does,… Acronis / Macrium / aomietech as suggested by folks..

There are Backups, you would use a software like Acronis, Macrium or Windows and it would do a Full backup of your system (Source) to another HDD or partition (Target) and as files changed, it would do Incremental backups on a schedule. This occurs while you are booted into Windows, it backs up your C: (source) drive to another (Target) drive. To restore, you have to have Windows installed, and then the software, then start the software and choose to restore your backup to the computer.
So, according to you, this feature will also restore the corrupted program, too?
Let say, My MS office on my C: drive got virus corrupted or whatever,….and now not working,.... And by backing up from another target drive ( where it was backed up earlier ) will it now start working normally ? How it can feed all the right files to all C: windows / system32 and many other folders / sub folders and sub directories of all little branches? It’s impossible.

Many told me “ Backup means simply you daily use, - highlight and copy and paste to a new folder and drive and nothing else, but in bulk and as per timing schedule. Is that true ?

The second option is an Image file. This is an exact Clone of the C: (Source) drive, but it is saved as a compressed Image file to another (target) drive. With an Image file you can make as many Images as you have space for over time. If there was a failure, you either would have Windows installed and the program and start that and choose to Restore the Image from the Target to the Source drive.
Image/ISO name itself is scary and artificial to me,...

In last two days MSFT’s high tech guys took control of my PC and tried downloading the windows OS ( for Pro ) from their MSFT web site and burn it to my 16 GB empty flash and it was done 3 times by diff persons and at diff time, and even by first burning on Desktop and as iso image and then on flash drive, 3+ times the error came everytime by simply downloading and burning it to flash, from the world's most reliable web site,... who makes Windows,....and program closed and 3 times it burnt on flash,.. that boot could never initiated from the flash to install from it the program. All MSFT tech. guys were genius and ( naturally,.. not from Philippines/Mexico ) and still these,….

So, if so,… how far can you trust that those ISO would ever work / evolute-unwind safe ? You can imagine the rainy day probability.

btw,....I liked your last option of perfect clone and of my choice,...

Summing up all of the ideas and then concluding myself, I perhaps reached to a perfect solution my way,..that,…

Now my HD is 2TB, but soon I will buy a small great 500MB HDD and first make a clone from 2 TB to this 500GB ( somehow ) and then will start using that 500 GB only…..

Now I got many spare 500GB and 1TB drives so my clone piece will make perfect clone for either on those same or bigger size and will never have to use ISO compressing and unwinding,...use of any software perhaps like Acronis / Macrium / aomietech any other perhaps thereafter,..

Thank you for your explanation, and it makes me clear now, about what and how it does,.... Thanks all for suggesting the best software that they also came across,... and will keep in mind and try those too,....

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,561 Posts
As for restoring Microsoft Office no you can restore files and the entire partition but not a program. On the other hand System Restore should do that if the problem is just settings. Programs need to be installed. Speaking of System Restore you should always check that is enabled and lately I am seeing all systems come in with it disabled.
You also mentioned incremental backups and I don't think any free programs will do incrementals only full image files.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
As stated, If you have done a Backup of your system to another drive, if one Program on your C: drive becomes corrupted, you cannot restore just that Program, you can restore any personal files you have backed up (ie) Documents, Music, Pictures etc, or you can restore the Whole C: drive from Backup, but not an individual program. In many cases, System Restore would restore the program if it was working well when the last System Restore Point was made, but it would not restore any personal files. You'd have to restore those from Backup.
An Image fie, think of an Image in a mirror, which usually is a mirror image of a HDD or Partition, is similar to an ISO file, however an Image file created by a Clone software, is a compressed file that can only be restored using that program that created it, no other programs will work to read that file.
Where as an ISO image, is an image of a bootable or non bootable disc that can be burned to a CD or USB Flash drive with many different programs.
Why the downloading of the Windows 10 ISO failed are many factors. The USB Flash drive you have is corrupted, the Download did not complete fully and it is corrupted. When it was either being burned or being downloaded it got interrupted and it did not complete. Or it downloaded and burned correctly, but your system has corrupted files on it and it could not complete the Upgrade from the working USB Flash drive.
At that point, you can Boot off of the newly created USB and choose to do a Clean Install
You ask how can you trust a burned USB flash? By using it on a different computer. If another computer will boot off of the USB Flash drive, then it works. If you have a spare HDD, you can test doing a Clean Install, if that works, you know your Flash Drive works. And you can use it to Repair or Reinstall your system whenever necessary.
As for Cloning Disk to Disk, remember that if the current C: drive has corrupted files, problems from Bad Sectors, infection or whatever, when you Clone it to a different HDD, you import the same problems onto the new drive that the old HDD had.So, you want to make sure your C: drive is working perfectly and is the way you want it before you do a Disk to Disk Clone.

·
Registered
504 Posts
As stated, If you have done a Backup of your system to another drive, if one Program on your C: drive becomes corrupted, you cannot restore just that Program, you can restore any personal files you have backed up (ie) Documents, Music, Pictures etc, or you can restore the Whole C: drive from Backup, but not an individual program.
Then, why not making a clone rather,... which you can again clone back to the original ? ( in docking station )

Why the downloading of the Windows 10 ISO failed are many factors. The USB Flash drive you have is corrupted, the Download did not complete fully and it is corrupted. When it was either being burned or being downloaded it got interrupted and it did not complete. Or it downloaded and burned correctly, but your system has corrupted files on it and it could not complete the Upgrade from the working USB Flash drive.
It was formatted and cleaned every time by MSFT experts who took control of my PC,... Download completed every time and no interruption anywhere,.
It's still not initiating by struggling in bios when the drive is blank and ready to install OS.
Flash is still not working, to boot from BIOS, and I am lucky that I have burnt DVD for both - for DELL OS from the Dell site, after entering my S.T. No, and for WIN 10 ( for Pro ) from Microsoft's website.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
why not making a clone......( in docking station )
I am not sure about Aomio but all other Free Cloning software do not support USB Adapters, Docks and Enclosures. the drive will not be seen except with the paid version of the cloning software.
The reason to do a Disk to Disk clone is that you would use the drive that you cloned to if the source drive fails. If you are going to restore a clone job, you can save a step by creating an image file instead and saving that, then Restoring the image, not Cloning the drive back to the drive you just cloned.
If you are not able to Boot from the USB or DVD, there are other factors in the Bios that have to be set.
In the Bios, you have to turn off Secure Boot. If UEFI Bios is set, you have to Add Legacy and or CSM. Save and Exit, then your USB drive will show as a bootable device.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,551 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.