Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this computer for just over a year, it is used and it came with ME. Now, over the last year I downloaded many things and wasn't responsible enough to keep track of them and uninstall the things I wasn't using. I only have a 4 gig hard drive and it is almost completely full. It was full about 80% but I deleted some JPG's and Mp3's this freed it up to about 5%. I have downloaded different programs to help me clean the hard drive a little but some of them don't seem to work for me. I know a bit about computers but I have no idea what I should delete for fear that I might delete something criticaly important to the computer's hard drive. I would really like to free up some space because the computer is really slow. Can someone please help?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well

it probably isnt the files on the hard disk slowing you down, it is probably the fact that most sites install plugins and in addition to that, every application you install makes your system run slower.

my advice would be to stop running around like a chicken with its head cut off, and simply reformat and reinstall the machine.

then you will know what is on it.

~BoB~

·
Registered
82 Posts
From the search menu:

Search for *.txt then delete any files you don't want.
*.zip - delete files that have been unzipped
readme.*
*.hlp (these are help files you might want to keep.)
*.cab (keep what's in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP - kill it all.
C:\temp - kill it all

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.