Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 40gig hd and recently I attatched a 2gig drive to my computer to move all the contents to my 40 gig drive.
After this I formatted the 2gig drive to use in another system.
Now my computers properties show that I have only a 2gig drive, but it's a 40gig drive....?
Can this be fixed without reintalling windows?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums avon_nova

First what brand of hard drives are these?

It sounds like you just moved the 2 gig partition over to the new drive.

If this is the case you need to do it a different way.

Knowing the manufacturers of the drives will help a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hard disk incorrectly showing space

Thanks for the reply.
I use Win98se. The 2gig drive is a Quantum fireball. The 40 gig drive (that now reads 2gig) is a Barracuda.
Does this help.
I use an AMD 1.2 ghz pc with 256meg Ram.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
no problem, hopefully I can help figure this out for you, I do need a little additional information however :

In the "My computer Tab" do you have 2 hardrives showing up or just the 1 with the 2gb?,

have you verified this space reading by doing a dir command in the command line?

Do you have a dual boot system?

What program/steps did you use when you copied the old drive?

And finally do you have partition experience (Just in case you above answers lead us to that. :) )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YOUR Q:In the "My computer Tab" do you have 2 hardrives showing up or just the 1 with the 2gb?,
A: No just one, it reads generic ide.

YOUR Q:have you verified this space reading by doing a dir command in the command line?
A: No. Is that in DOS ?

YOUR Q:Do you have a dual boot system?
A: I dont know.....but I think not.

YOUR Q:What program/steps did you use when you copied the old drive?
A: I just copied and pasted to a new folder called backup on the 40 gig drive.

YOUR Q:And finally do you have partition experience (Just in case you above answers lead us to that. )
A: No, but I have software for it and am able to learn.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:) The ability to learn is alway a plus...

Anyway try this out and let me know what you see,

Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Line / MS Dos Prompt > Type "fdisk" , it may ask you about large drive access or something like that (I cant remember references to LBA I think,) but anyway if it does just answer "yes"

You will be given a screen and there should be 4-5 options on it (I'm going from memory so I may be wrong but close anyway) You looking for an option that reads something like "Display Current Drive Information" (Think its option 4) When the screen is brought up write down the information in it and post back the results.

** IMPORTANT ** :no:
To exit that program just use a series of ESC's do not change ANYTHING, Options 1&2 are BAD, once your back at the prompt just type exit to close the window.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sticking with me..
after fdisk I chose option 4 'display partition information' as there was no 'display current drive information'.
The info states-
current fixed disk drive:1
partition c:1
type:pri dos
volume label:_
mbytes:2047
system:fat16
usage:5%
total disk space is 38162

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Ok, last couple questions, when you copied the information from the old drive to the new one, was it brand new ie no previous partitions on it?

It looks like the drive has been partitioned as 2gb and the rest left as unpartitioned space.

Did you reinstall the OS after the copy from the old drive?

(What I'm trying to figure out here is if you noticed any problems with your old OS, because there should of been serious problems if your old OS was used to 40gb then it was only 2 all of a sudden)

But you would not have noticed any problems if you installed a clean OS or if the drive was new so let me know.. also are you missing files/directories that you used to have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YOUR Q:when you copied the information from the old drive to the new one, was it brand new ie no previous partitions on it?
A: The 40g was new and formatted.

YOUR Q:Did you reinstall the OS after the copy from the old drive?
A: I had only just installed the OS on the 40g prior to the copy.

YOUR Q:also are you missing files/directories that you used to have?
A: I have all that I had before it seems....just less room.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hmm...

Ok, I'm giving my answer with a little less confidence than normal, because I cant seem to wrap my mind around how this could happen, and even if it could, why you aren't getting so many errors as to not be funny... Anyway..

According to your fdisk report, you have 1, 2 gb partition that is active(Bootable) and the remaining amount of space is unpartitioned.

You now have 3 Choices (in my opinion)

1) Simply go back into fdisk and make another primary dos partition with the rest of the 36-37 gb's , doing this however will create a drive D with the space not combine with the already existing C.

2) Boot disk > Repartition and format everything into one big drive
But I really don't like to recommend the wiping of an OS so I would personally not do this one.

3) Use a partition manipulation program like Partition Magic to try to make one big drive (I have no experience in this program so I cant help you there, but I'm sure there is documentation for it.) The only problem is I'm not positive it can do it, and it costs $.

If you don't have an aversion to two drive letters on your system I would go with choice #1 and just start installing future programs to your new 36-37 gb D drive.

Also note: Use windows Fat 16 to Fat 32 converter program if you go with choice #1 , Fat32 is better than 16. This program can be found in Start > Accessories > System Tools > Fat Converter ? (Something like that anyway)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
XP DOES support FAT32, but it also offers NTFSm which most people choose to use... I'm not sure the size support difference, but I'm almost positive it's significant.

S

·
0 Posts
I you try to load XP off of the CD it will only give you a 32 gig partition using fat32.

But if you fdisk and format with a Win98 startup disk it will give you the full use of your hard drive if your motherboard will support it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Odd. I've never seen this kind of thing happen and I've been in tech support a long time. It looks like the partition on the 40 gig drive somehow got converted to fat16, wihich has a maximum partion size of 2 gigs.
How did it get resovled? Did you create a second partition or convert the existing one to fat32? If you converted it I don't see how it would just expand to 40 gigs.
Personally I like two partitions. I have a 40 gig with a 3 gig partition and a 37. I put all my data on the big partition. Then if you need to reinstall Windows you don't have to copy data to another disk.
Stay away from NTFS! I have shot myself in the foot so many times using it. It is a better file system and gives more file security but you don't need that. It can not be read by DOS so if have to boot with a 95/98 startup disk your screwed. Fdisk will blow away an NTFS partion if it's the only one one the disk but if you have more than one (NTFS being one of them) it gets confused and you cannot delete any of them.
I didn't know that about XP and it's 32 gig limit when installing on an unpartioned disk. I haven't used XP too much and not real big on it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I had problems with this one to, couldn't understand how it could happen without the OS that was already installed not having a heart attack.

I do the same thing with the partitions, if need arises to reinstall the OS its the easiest way to do it.

Welcome to the board by the way. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.